"Dive Tips" - A productive thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nova:
I can't tell you how many times I've taken off the harness and tried to walk away before remembering the backup is still around my neck :11:
LOL...been there, done that, got the t-shirt :D

I have a bunch of the lids for water bottles with a hole punched in them. I have them in various places. When I'm done diving for the day and I'm drinking another bottle of water, I drink down about 3/4 of it and put one of the hole punched tops on it. I then use that to flush out my p-valve with a good squeeze. It's easy and cheap and small enough that you can have a bunch of them. There are water bottles everywhere.

Chris

Do you guys have any idea how much better it makes me feel to know that other people have found ways to screw up managing the spaghetti of a long hose setup?

A couple of tips:-

1) When kitting up, never be afraid to ask your buddy for help particularly when you've just put on your drysuit.

2) When deploying a DSMB make sure it's in front of you.
3) If your DSMB pulls you up, let go and make sure it goes in front of you and don't grab it a second time - (I had an uncontrolled ascent at the weekend because of this)

4) With mask removal practice , take your time it's easier and let your buddy know you are going to do it - A bolt snap off my long hose got trapped in my mask and a buddy had to clear it for me - errh I couldn't see :)

5) It's easier to ascend with a DSMB than grab a shotline.

6) If you have an incident try to put it into perspective - better still have a word with your buddies and once they've stopped laughing try to not let it happen again.

7) Don't jump into the shallow end of a swimming pool with gear on - you might break your leg.

8) If your drysuit leaks make sure you try to dry the inside of the suit.

9) Don't smell wet neoprene - yuk!

10) Don't rush getting back into the boat unless conditions determine otherwise.

11) Diving is fun, training can be fun - plan the dive, dive the plan and come back safely smiling - and after an uncontrolled ascent at the weekend learn from tips given to you :)

where do you live dbulmer? :] (i remember you from a while ago, and eventually got in touch with RichW)

Windsor and I met RichW for the first time on Saturday at Stoney where he was doing a DIRF - a very nice bloke. Hope to do Fundies next year sometime.

dbulmer:
7) Don't jump into the shallow end of a swimming pool with gear on - you might break your leg.
This one's my favorite!:07:

Archman,
I should have also added .. and your buddies will **** themselves laughing :)

tips for newbies (from a newb) on going up without a line:
1. When venting air from the bc, it helps to watch the air go out. Gives you a abit of a visual cue on how much you've let out. Once you're more comfy, you won't need to do it. But it helped me.
2. On free ascents, go up in 10 ft intervals. The idea here is that you want to go 1 ft every 2 seconds (30fpm). Sometimes it is hard to nail that rate. Do your best at hitting the rate, but if you plan on stopping every 10 feet, you can let the time catch up to you if you went a little fast. For example, you go from 30ft to 20ft in 10 seconds instead of the 20 seconds. Well, at 20 ft, just wait for 10 seconds. Then continue.

I think the biggest help for me was psycological. It gave me a series of small managable goals (ok, head to 30 ft and stop) rather than 1 big one (ascend at 30 ft/min). It also gave me a chance every 10 ft to make sure my boyancy was in check.

General tip for us newbs
1. Never feel rushed. If you are feeling rushed, you are asking for problems. Take a few deep breaths and force your buddy to stop a second. Its not a race. Don't let people make you think it is.

Once you get out of the water add air to your DS -- lots of it --- heaven!!!

As a DM on the boat -- I do this to my clients once they sit down on the bench --- you should see their faces -- they think I am a Goddess! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom