"Dive Tips" - A productive thread.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nova

Contributor
Reaction score
Well it seems that the discussions about gear configurations, and agencies, always seem to end up with veiled insults and personal opinions highjacking the thread. I'm guilty of this as well :D . In an effort to try and learn something ,I'd like to start a thread on DIVE TIPS that could help all divers,

I'll go first,

here's a tip on passing a restriction without banging your valve or manifold.

first , judge the opening to make SURE you will fit.
then, approach the opening slowly.
next, put your mask(the one on your head) about two inches from the bottom and slowly move through the restriction

this head position allows your tanks to have the maximum clearance that they will get. If your tanks hit, you're to big for the whole

If you've got a good diving tip I'd like to know it . So help a diver out and post your tip!

Make up, or have someone make up, a gear checklist, laminate it and put it with your dive bag. Could save a lot of embarrassment and frustration on the dive boat.

the K

with different lists for different types of dives. i don't use a belt or gloves in fresh and had to run to the closet with toothpaste in my mouth this morning (if i say i'll remember, i'll forget) to put them with my packed stuff for tomorrow's salt dives.

I've read on this board and often heard from people in the field that the reason they go to harnesses with quick releases and other dangles is because of fit or donning- doffing the harness. I've always used a continuous piece of webbing for my harness and the little trick i use for donning/doffing is on the bottom right slots where the harness goes through the backplate i don't use a stopper. By doing this i can pull the shoulder webbing out and easily pass my right hand through it and thus take off the harness. The reason i use the right slots and not the left is two-fold. 1st: I'm a leftie so my left hand is more powerful than my right and thus it is easier for my to pull the right waist strap and tighten the harness. 2nd: My waist buckle comes all the way around the harness and holds my light on my right side close to the backplate, thus compensating for the lost stopper. Using this little tip will make it much much easier to don/doff the harness no-matter how much gear your wearing.
I hope this helps! Safe diving.

Spit nice globs of spit into your mask a good 10-15 minutes, letting it dry hard, before you hit the water. My mask seldom fogs even after a few dives.

I was hoping this thread would take off, but it hasn't,so I'll try and post another technique that has helped me .

getting out of a harness can be a hassle, so what I do is take my right hand , put it on my left shoulder D-ring , and pull straight out. this leaves enough room for my left hand to come through easily. If you try this remember to unbuckle the waste buckle first :wink:

Thanks for the ideas for getting out of the harness . . . I have a feeling I will try them all!

nova:
getting out of a harness can be a hassle, so what I do is take my right hand , put it on my left shoulder D-ring , and pull straight out. this leaves enough room for my left hand to come through easily. If you try this remember to unbuckle the waste buckle first :wink:
I just use my left thumb hooked to the left shoulder D-ring.

My tip...After getting out of the water, Its easier to take off your backup reg if you have first removed (and clipped off) your primary. But if I was a betting man, I'm sure I will forget this tip by this weekend.

JeffG:
I just use my left thumb hooked to the left shoulder D-ring.

My tip...After getting out of the water, Its easier to take off your backup reg if you have first removed (and clipped off) your primary. But if I was a betting man, I'm sure I will forget this tip by this weekend.
I can't tell you how many times I've taken off the harness and tried to walk away before remembering the backup is still around my neck :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom