Dive temp right now at the Yukon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't been to the Yukon in a couple years, but I'm heading there in a couple weeks. I would guess the temperature at depth right now is 57ish, but a couple degrees makes a difference in my choice of suit (I have a closet full of wetsuits... no drysuit.) So the actual current temperature would help a lot.

Anyone been recently and can share?

Thanks!

Exact is a hard number to nail down. It can change a few degrees from one day to the next. I've done long dives on the Yukon and watched conditions change during the dive. But you are in the right ballpark.

I haven't been out in two weeks, but the last time I dove San Diego on 14 July (not on the Yukon), it was pretty darn cold. I had 57-59-ish on my 20' deco stop but low 50s at depth. For some reason, to me at least, the Yukon always seems cold.

- brett

There's an algae bloom affecting the area right now; it might improve in the next couple weeks, but right now it's pretty green and dark. Surface temp in August can be as high as 70ish but at depth it's still going to be low-to-mid 50s. Highest bottom temp I ever recorded on the Yukon was 56, and that was in October when the water temperature peaks. I've never dived it wet; if I did, I'd bring the warmest stuff I had.

I had 57-59-ish on my 20' deco stop but low 50s at depth. For some reason, to me at least, the Yukon always seems cold.

- brett
Thanks... I'll prep for low 50's, hope for mid 50's.

There's an algae bloom affecting the area right now; it might improve in the next couple weeks, but right now it's pretty green and dark. Surface temp in August can be as high as 70ish but at depth it's still going to be low-to-mid 50s. Highest bottom temp I ever recorded on the Yukon was 56, and that was in October when the water temperature peaks. I've never dived it wet; if I did, I'd bring the warmest stuff I had.
Thanks for the heads up on the algae bloom. I usually expect viz to be about zero midway between the surface and the wreck, but it seems to improve just a little bit (or sometimes a lot) at depth. Only been there one day, years ago, when the viz was so good we could see the wreck from the surface (and that only lasted for about 20 minutes.)

I've always been in a wetsuit. Coldest I've recorded was 47 degree on the Yukon... that was chilly in a 7mm wetsuit. But nearly all my other days there have been low to high 50's, which I find quite nice in a 7mm if it's a warm day up top.

Back
Top Bottom