Dive Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold_Under_Here

Contributor
Reaction score
Just a quick question.
What dive tables are 'DIR' for recreational diving?
Is it in the best interest of a recreational diver to dive conservative tables and following them closerly (i.e. PADI tables)?...Or should they follow the more liberal tables (i.e US Navy) and use them conservatively?

Cold_Under_Here:
Just a quick question.
Is it in the best interest of a recreational diver to dive conservative tables and following them closerly (i.e. PADI tables)?...Or should they follow the more liberal tables (i.e US Navy) and use them conservatively?

RGBM ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Cold_Under_Here:
Just a quick question.

Hi,
There's a bit more to it than just choosing some tables and diving. DIR is about using the correct ascent rate, making your "safety stops", staying physically fit, and much more. Those are equally, if not more, influential to decompressing than any "table choice."
That all being said, the tables one chooses is based on the previous factors as well as one's experience and training (education). If you have been trained using the PADI tables, then by all means, continue to use them. Combine them w/proper ascent rates, good buoyancy control, proper physical conditoning, and making your "safety stops" and your moving in the right direction.
As you continue to gain experience and education as well as a better understanding of the process of decompression, then you can make informed decisions and choose the tables based on what you believe works and not what folks on the Net tell you to follow.
Answers on the Net regarding these types of questions (looking for that "black & white answer) leave out a TON of what is taught at GUE and seem to be the root of many of the squabbles, inconsistencies, and misinformation that seems to permeate the discussion boards quite often.
What I am getting at is that if you are genuinely curious about the way we do things, you cannot get it here. Please contact a GUE instructor and take a class. If you're just trying to stir the pot, well good luck but suffice it to say that it's highly unlikely that anything good will come of that in the community.
Good luck and safe diving!

Best Regards,
brando

Bob, I was under the impression that GUE uses Buhlmann ZH-L 16B with Gradient Factors?

Vie:
Bob, I was under the impression that GUE uses Buhlmann ZH-L 16B with Gradient Factors?
Yes, and actually per standards they're using Decoplanner w/VPM now.

I don't believe it's as simple as saying "DIR uses xxxx tables"....

Those that have taken the majority of the GUE curricullum will attest that the focus is definitely not on a simple choice of a table to use. More importantly, the DIR diver is taught what's going on (to the extent of what we know or believe based on scientific proof as well as empirical evidence), the influencing factors, and how to conduct dives and come up safely using this knowledge to determine a safe decompression profile. In other words, a thinking diver that does not blindly follow any table or computer.

But then again...what do I know, I only have a few posts. :D

dive safe!---b.

BCS:
But then again...what do I know, I only have a few posts. :D

dive safe!---b.

Sorry, Brandon—I was actually typing my question to Bob (it was a serious question because I was not sure what the “answer” was). Anyway, I saw your post after I posted and I guess it’s too late to remove my post now.

Vie:
Sorry, Brandon—I was actually typing my question to Bob (it was a serious question because I was not sure what the “answer” was). Anyway, I saw your post after I posted and I guess it’s too late to remove my post now.
Vie,
that wasn't directed at you dude....:)
(my attempt at humor on these boards is usually missed by those who don't know me and don't realize that I am a smart *** by nature)...sorry man.

best,
b.

No worries, Brandon. PM sent.

BCS:
Hi,
There's a bit more to it than just choosing some tables and diving. DIR is about using the correct ascent rate, making your "safety stops", staying physically fit, and much more. Those are equally, if not more, influential to decompressing than any "table choice."
That all being said, the tables one chooses is based on the previous factors as well as one's experience and training (education). If you have been trained using the PADI tables, then by all means, continue to use them. Combine them w/proper ascent rates, good buoyancy control, proper physical conditoning, and making your "safety stops" and your moving in the right direction.
As you continue to gain experience and education as well as a better understanding of the process of decompression, then you can make informed decisions and choose the tables based on what you believe works and not what folks on the Net tell you to follow.
Answers on the Net regarding these types of questions (looking for that "black & white answer) leave out a TON of what is taught at GUE and seem to be the root of many of the squabbles, inconsistencies, and misinformation that seems to permeate the discussion boards quite often.
What I am getting at is that if you are genuinely curious about the way we do things, you cannot get it here. Please contact a GUE instructor and take a class. If you're just trying to stir the pot, well good luck but suffice it to say that it's highly unlikely that anything good will come of that in the community.
Good luck and safe diving!

Best Regards,
brando

I don't dive DIR and I don't intend to. I DO believe in keeping myself physically AND mentally fit, streamlining my equipment and choosing capable buddies...I'm not a cavediver from where DIR was conceived...
I was simply interested in knowing what the DIR crowd use, that is all; no stirring here.

Sorry if the reasonable question appeared to be "pot stirring".

Cold_Under_Here:
Sorry if the reasonable question appeared to be "pot stirring".

Many of us on Scubaboard have been here quite a while and have seen all forms of questions aimed at "stirring the pot." While Brandon was not accusing you of such, it is a standard disclaimer many of use have gotten used to in this forum because of people trolling here. There are no issues with people asking questions...if they are honest. Just realise where he was coming from when he made the comment...it was not personal. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom