Dive Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomx5:
Many of us on Scubaboard have been here quite a while and have seen all forms of questions aimed at "stirring the pot." While Brandon was not accusing you of such, it is a standard disclaimer many of use have gotten used to in this forum because of people trolling here. There are no issues with people asking questions...if they are honest. Just realise where he was coming from when he made the comment...it was not personal. :)
Thanks Scott!
I believe that NAUI uses RGBM more strictly. GUE does however use the RGBM as a basis for further discussion, training/education, and creation of dive profiles (at least GUE has done that in my experience with them). GUE classes have also discussed use of Navy tables, Bulhman tables, VPM, and others I'm sure. So to say that the "DIR diver is using xxxx tables" or, "is taught to use xxxx tables" is just not entirely accurate.
I just thought the question is not answerable here w/o more explanation.
Disclaimer: Of course, I am only speaking from my limited background w/GUE and I am sure there are much more educated and informed divers here who could go into this much more accurately than I can.
Dive safe Scott! Hope all's going well out in Cali!

best,
b.

The direct answer to the question for a recreational diver is to use the tables that you were originally taught to use. If you are a PADI diver use the PADI tables. If you are an SSI diver use the SSI tables. Divers with advanced training (GUE tech and cave) use other means.

With that said the other comments about how you dive within the boundaries of the tables are dead on. That is on the ascent you learn to slow the ascent by doing deep stops and pauses all the way to the surface rather than “3 minutes at 15 feet”. You learn about the impact of nutrition and physical conditioning on your body’s ability to off gas and how to do the ascent with a team safely.

In short tables are a small part of dive planning and execution. A GUE instructor can give you the real story.

BCS:
Thanks Scott!
I believe that NAUI uses RGBM more strictly. GUE does however use the RGBM as a basis for further discussion, training/education, and creation of dive profiles (at least GUE has done that in my experience with them). GUE classes have also discussed use of Navy tables, Bulhman tables, VPM, and others I'm sure. So to say that the "DIR diver is using xxxx tables" or, "is taught to use xxxx tables" is just not entirely accurate.
I just thought the question is not answerable here w/o more explanation.
Disclaimer: Of course, I am only speaking from my limited background w/GUE and I am sure there are much more educated and informed divers here who could go into this much more accurately than I can.
Dive safe Scott! Hope all's going well out in Cali!

best,
b.

Thanks Brandon,

Things are going quite well right now. I'm just sorry I couldn't get down to see you guys when you were in town. Let me know next time you make it out and we'll go diving. :)

Anyway, when we plan our dives I usually use ratio deco, but make adjustments for the particular site we may be diving in. Sometimes, (depending on the dive) I'll check my total deco time against DecoPlanner or some other form of software if we are doing a multi-level scooter dive just to make sure my numbers are close and I've yet to have a problem. Of course, these dives are all in the decompression ranges and recreational dives I treat differently and use min deco rules with extended shallow stops. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom