printable copy of dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like you can get it here.

If not a Google search on "SSI dive tables" will give plenty of options. You'll have to check it against what's in the app to make sure you get something current.
thank you. I could not find it there the first 3 times I searched for it on the SSI site.

Why?

EDIT:
A quick explanation for my comment, and then I will leave it alone.
  1. In learning theory, time and effort spent learning things that are not necessary detracts from your ability to learn what is necessary (see Interference theory).
  2. It is important to learn the basics of decompression theory, and many people mistakenly believe that teaching tables teaches decompression theory. It does not. You don't need to know how to use tables to understand what decompression is all about.
  3. Except for very rare cases, you can't back up a computer with tables. Unless you do a perfectly flat dive with the computer, it will give a reading that will not translate to the tables for a second dive because of its multi-level reading.
re 3: if you treat the first dive as a table dive (I.e. only look at total duration and max depth) you can back up with tables for second dive.

I was going to add this to my previous post, but @boulderjohn beat me to it.

Tables are fine for illustrating the practical aspects of deco theory like the deeper you go, the less time you have and the value of surface intervals. But being able to work a table is not the same as understanding deco theory.

If you really want to understand deco theory, then study that directly. Otherwise, the time you would spend on the tables is much better spent on understanding the operation of your dive computer.

Here's a good place to start if you are interested in deco theory.

yes, and for someone who is both technically minded and intending to do more sophisticated diving, learning all about deco theory is great.

my wife is studying for her initial OW cert, is very much not technically minded, and is not at all interested in doing anything beyond 60/60 rec diving.

she wanted to understand how the tables worked and didn't feel she was getting enough from the online materials, and for her, being confused about one aspect will prevent her learning the others because it will stress her out.

re 3: if you treat the first dive as a table dive (I.e. only look at total duration and max depth) you can back up with tables for second dive.
Really?

So if I do a multi-level dive to 100 feet for a total of 80 minutes, I can do the next dive with tables?

Okay, so help me out. If I do that 100 foot dive for 80 minutes and have a one hour surface interval, what will be my maximum bottom time for a dive to 80 feet?

Really?

So if I do a multi-level dive to 100 feet for a total of 80 minutes, I can do the next dive with tables?

Okay, so help me out. If I do that 100 foot dive for 80 minutes and have a one hour surface interval, what will be my maximum bottom time for a dive to 80 feet?
Your example is chosen to be off the tables. But there are many first-dives that are ON the tables.

Your example is chosen to be off the tables. But there are many first-dives that are ON the tables.
Yes, but I would guess they are a small minority. If you are doing any sort of a multilevel dive with a computer, and you take it to near NDL, the odds are that variation will take you beyond table limits. I do a fair amount of diving on relatively flat reefs in South Florida, and even there I am sure most of my dive is shallower than the maximum depth. The computer knows that and adjusts by giving me extra time. A table does not adjust, so that extra time probably takes you beyond the limits.

Really?

no, because you would be off the tables because you would have to treat it as an 80 minute 100 foot dive.

absurd counter examples are absurd. don't be dumb just for the sake of being contrary.

but if you did a typical 45 minute dive with a max depth of 45, you could use that to plan your next dive just fine.

no, because you would be off the tables because you would have to treat it as an 80 minute 100 foot dive.

absurd counter examples are absurd. don't be dumb just for the sake of being contrary.

but if you did a typical 45 minute dive with a max depth of 45, you could use that to plan your next dive just fine.
Typical? Maybe where you live. But not in the warm waters where most dives are made.

FWIW, I'm primarily a vacation diver and the large majority of my first dives would either be off the tables or put me in such a high loading group the second dive would be very limited.

absurd counter examples are absurd. don't be dumb just for the sake of being contrary
Absurd? Dumb?
I would guess that pretty much all my NDL dives are off the tables. Here is a 3-tank day of diving I did in Cozumel in 2022. These dives were done with nitrox, but you'll get the idea.

Dive 1
96 foot maximum depth; 81 minutes total dive time.

Dive 2
56 feet maximum depth; 88 minute total dive time

Dive 3
83 feet maximum depth; 88 minute total dive time

Absurd? Dumb?
I would guess that pretty much all my NDL dives are off the tables. Here is a 3-tank day of diving I did in Cozumel in 2022. These dives were done with nitrox, but you'll get the idea.

Dive 1
96 foot maximum depth; 81 minutes total dive time.

Dive 2
56 feet maximum depth; 88 minute total dive time

Dive 3
83 feet maximum depth; 88 minute total dive time
great, so obviously _for_ _you_ tables can't be used to plan a second dive. (are you using 120s or are you just the most efficient SAC ever?)

however don't confuse the way you dive for the way "everyone" dives. _many_ divers dive off tourist oriented boats with a 1 hr limit on bottom time with DMs who rarely go below 60 feet.

for instance, a full week at Coco View in Roatan (23 dives), I rarely went below 60 feet (because why? there is nothing to see at 80 feet that you aren't going to see at 60 and the light and bottom time go down rapidly as you go deeper. ) many dives I stayed above 50. out of ~24 dives on St Croix, only twice have I gone below 65 feet and many dives (especially on the west end) it is impossible to go below about 35 feet.

so, for many of us, Tables can be used as a "worst case" backup for planning a second dive, because we didn't go anywhere near our NDLs even by dive table standards on our first dive.

Back
Top Bottom