Dive suggestions for Monterey, CA area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I'm excited. Thanks for all of the information. This should be a good entrance for me into West Coast diving. I was in LaJolla last week and was kicking myself for not getting out for at least one dive. That won't happen again! Have to have the right set of priorities!

Just something that I wish someone had told me the first times I dove locally. Remember to go slow and to look for the small stuff - nudibranchs, etc. These, to me, are what make Monterey so amazing. Enjoy your time out here!

Visibility will be anywhere from 5-10 feet up to about a maximum of 20. There have been reports of better vis lately, but those are exceptions.

Dude, if that's the best viz you've seen around here, you need to get out more.

trids.jpg

That's from a recent recreational dive charter.

In Carmel (including Point Lobos), I would say viz of 30+ feet is more the norm than the exception.

Dude, if that's the best viz you've seen around here, you need to get out more.

In Carmel (including Point Lobos), I would say viz of 30+ feet is more the norm than the exception.

We keep hearing that!!!! Along the north coast we've been diving at the Breakwater (shore), Ocean Cove (Zodiac), Point Lobos (shore), Eric's Pinnacle (boat), Lover's Point (shore), and Hopkin's Marine Preserve (boat). With the exception of two trips to the Breakwater, the water has always been smooth, but there was wind just a day or two earlier. We haven't come CLOSE to 30+ feet of vis. Trust me, I believe you on the vis, but our timing has always put us in the water with a stirred up bottom.

We'll just have to keep trying.

I kind of like to expect not a lot and then be blown away how good the viz was. You haven't seen bad viz until you've dove western Long Island Sound! yuck! But a bad day diving is better than a good day at the office!

If you are going to be diving over multiple days, the breakwater is a good place to knowck out your first dive, just to get aquainted with Monterey diving (easy entry and easy navigation). Vis at the BW typically isn;t as good as other places though and it can be pretty crowded on weekends. All day parking runs $8.

If you are able to dive during the week, I highly recommend Pt Lobos. Lobos is south of Monterey on the Carmel side and you'll typically find better vis down there. Most of the diving on the Carmel side is a little more advanced (difficult entries and exits), but Lobos is the exception. Weekends, you would need a reservation (already booked for the time you are here), but weekdays you can generally walk (drive) in as long as you have a c-card and a buddy. entry is $8 or $9 (can't remember). Don't waste your money on a weekday reservation, with maybe the exception of a Friday since you are coming fro out of town.

Depending on conditions, there are other great dives in the area, Monastery beach is a popular one, but conditions can get hairy. I'd strongly suggest diving with a local who has experience at some of these sites if you are going to try them.

For tours, Bruce at Aquarius (on Del Monte) frequetly does tours and I've heard good things from him. I'm sure you can find decent tours at any of the local shops though.

Boats are good, especially when conditions are good and they can take you down on the Carmel side. Escapade and Cypress Sea are two of my favorites.

FWIW Bruce took myself and another DM to Lobos (not a "tour", but a fun dive for him) and I must say if you want a great experience see if you can get him to take you there. He seems to know that place like the back of his hand. Granted my reports still arent up (thanks to my trip to NY for work and my AOW class this weekend) my two dives with him were:

Cannery Point Pinnacle @ 95ft for 55 minutes (coulda been 52)
Whatever the Cave/Cove is called to Granite Point along the wall @ 83ft for 55 minutes

Both dives had a surface swim, but when we surfaced we were no more than 30 feet from the ramp.

Noboundaries, I very often run into 40+ foot vis. Out of my past 10 dives at least 6 were 40+.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom