Dive suggestions for Monterey, CA area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HenryG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I am planning to be in Monterey between the June 18th and 22nd and would like to dive locally. Can anyone help out with dive shop/guide suggestions and locations of "don't miss" dives? I am more incline to do a shore dive but if there is a good boat dive I would love to try it out. More questions ... I know that the water is cold out there, but will my 7mil be ok to go with? Thanks for any and all advice and information!
Henry

For guided shore dives, I've had very good luck with Bamboo Reef divers in Monterey. If your new to the area, a guided dive is a great way to get an introduction to the area. I've done several shore dives in Monterey, though to be honest, I far prefer the boat diving. If the plankton is currently blooming, then a boat is an even better option. Cypress Sea, Monterey Express and Beach Hopper II are all good boats with good people. As far as locations, it is hard to loose. Point Lobos is a state reserve park that is fun to shore dive, though you have to reserve in advance. You'll have better luck with a non Friday or weekend day. The Breakwater is the place where everyone does the basic open water classes. It's fun and an easy spot to dive. Monterey is an absolutely beautiful place. I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Hi all, I am planning to be in Monterey between the June 18th and 22nd and would like to dive locally. Can anyone help out with dive shop/guide suggestions and locations of "don't miss" dives? I am more incline to do a shore dive but if there is a good boat dive I would love to try it out. More questions ... I know that the water is cold out there, but will my 7mil be ok to go with? Thanks for any and all advice and information!
Henry

You'll probably want to add a hooded vest to your 7mm suit if you don't have one. Water temps are hovering around 50 deg, so prepare for it.

Here is a list of the California dive sites:

California Diving News Dive Sites

Here's a page if you're new to Monterey:

New Monterey Diver Information

If the dive boat is going around the corner to Carmel, by all means sign up.

There is a LOT of shore diving in the Monterey/Carmel area.

Last edited:
Henry,

Water temp will likely be in the low to mid 50s. I tend to endure cold easily so I dive with a 1mm skin, 7mm one piece ws, 5 mil hood, 5 mil gloves and booties. I'm good for three dives as long as I can warm up adequately between dives. Visibility will be anywhere from 5-10 feet up to about a maximum of 20. There have been reports of better vis lately, but those are exceptions.

Dive Whaler's Cove at Point Lobos in Carmel on Thursday the 19th. Easy shore entry and a surface swim of 300-500 yards or so to get to Middle Reef and the interesting stuff. Expect kelp, lots of it. Plus you have to have a permit and I don't know if they'll let you dive alone. Call the lady at the ranger's shack (Donna I believe) at 1-831-624-8413. She can take your payment for the permit ($10) and can answer the question about diving alone. Permits might be available on Friday, but are most likely gone for the weekend. There's also a park entrance fee. Their website is Point Lobos State Reserve

Given your 25-49 dives, the Breakwater is an easy dive and there's a dive shop in the parking lot and another one at the other end of the park. Lots of life at the end of the breakwater and nice navigation practice over to Metridium Fields. On weekends though it is packed with certification classes. Friday wouldn't be a problem though. Here's a website packed with info: SCUBA MONTEREY, San Francisco Bay Area Scuba Diving Courses.

Cypress Charters has what they call a Friendly Friday 2 dive schedule on Friday, June 20th. Nice boat, good people. They usually need 8 divers to go so give them a call and see what they've got so far. Their website is Cypress Charters You may end up wanting to dive with them all weekend if they aren't full.

Back in Monterey; Lover's Point is a good morning dive if the surf is manageable. There's a time limit on when you can dive and you'll get a ticket if you exceed the cutoff. You could dive there on Saturday or Sunday.

Just so you know, the Monterey parking police view divers as a constant source of income, so take plenty of quarters for parking meters and pay a little extra so the flag doesn't pop up. It's always good Karma to leave a little extra on the meter for the next guy. Sucks paying a $25 ticket trying to save a buck.

Hope that helps.

Ray

I did a couple of shore dives off San Carlos Beach (Breakwater and the Metridium Field) a couple of weeks ago. I added a 5 mm hood and vest to my 7 mm wetsuit and was fine. Water temp was 51 degrees at 40 fsw.

Fantastic information, thanks loads.

If you are looking for a good dive guide, I would suggest Jonah, who I believe works through Monterey Bay Dive Center. He's a really nice guy and good diver. Hopefully I'm correct about the shop.

7mm with a hooded vest and you will be fine.

Lots of good spots to check out too.

Dan

Whatever you do, don't forget to come back here after the trip and tell us where you went diving, what you saw, what you thought of west coast diving, etc. We'll look forward to your dive report HenryG.

Back
Top Bottom