Dive/Spearfishing Report 10/26

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

algulfdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well we finally got the Orange Beach Open in this past weekend, Fri, was the only day most boats got out.

Bryan and Myself headed out Fri. morning around 7ish on the Cat-N-Around with three tanks each, 2 SpearGuns each and smooth seas (less than 2 foot).

The plan was to go to the South West about 17nm to a site called the Old Dry Docks, in 95fsw so that's where we started. I took the first Dive on the site in hopes of some Flounder and I did manage to get 3 although there were plenty more on site. This was a good dive @ 38 min. with water temp. at depth of 78* vis around 30 foot.

2nd stop was a Army Tank (M-60) in 95fsw. Bryan made his desent and came up with a nice Black Snapper after about 25 min. Vis on this tank 40'.

3rd stop I dropped on a Pyramid (spelling) http://reefmaker.com/images/steelreef.bmp
and didn't see anything of any size, so I was back on the Boat in about 10 min.

4th stop was a Barge in a little over 100fsw that we have looked for before and not found, But this time we located it about 140 foot from the #'s. We threw the buoy and Bryan took his drop and came up about 30 min. later with a nice Cobia (17 lb's.).
We decided that this would be good for another drop so I geared up and made a splash. As soon as I got near the bottom and headed towards the Barge a LARGE Red Snapper came out to meet me, I got a good shot on it and put it on my stringer it ended up being 21 lbs. (Not good eneough to place in the Tourny but some good meat never the less.) I went on over to the barge where I was amazed at the abundance of fish. There were a large number of Black Snapper also a LARGE (250 pound or so) Goliath Grouper. Vis on this site was 60+ foot. I could go on and on about this Dive Site, it is a GREAT dive that I will go to on Charters.

5th stop was nothing but bait fish that I dropped on.

6th stop was Bryans turn and the site was a piece of Bridge Span close to Rome in
95fsw where he came up with another nice Black Snapper.

This was a Great day of diving. A little cool air temp. but not that bad.
I can't wait to do it again.

Thanks for the report Gary, it seemed like alot of people didn't get too much time in the water. Atleast you guys knabbed a couple fish for the effort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom