Dive slates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulyray114

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was just wondering how well the wrist mounted slates work? I'm a new diver with only 20 dives in and currently have a regular slate that goes in my bcd pocket. I hate the fact that i have to remove it to use it and really dont like the idea of having it hang from my gear on a coil. Any suggestions?

Just grab a dive rite wrist slate for 20 bucks. the work fine but expect to break the pencil, the trick being don't use it unless you have to

I have a Dive-rite wrist slate that has the flippable pages (really pieces of plastic). It was ~ $20. I like mine okay, but haven't had to use it a lot. It is nice that it's right there and easy to access. Some potential disadvantages are:
1) takes up real estate on your arm, may be any issue if you have other wrist mount stuff (computer, compass, watch, etc.)
2) may make it a little more difficult for your buddy to read/respond, depending on their position relative to your arm. You can't hand it to them easily like a slate, so you have to twist your arm around where they can see it, and they basically have to hold your arm if they want to write back an answer to you.
3) Could be in the way if you hunt for things in holes/crevices (lobsters, crabs, etc.)

Advantages are it's easy to see and doesn't dangle from anything.

That said, I don't foresee the need to change anything else for my diving.

Hope this helps,

John

I was given a flippable wrist slate. Tried to use it twice. It was a pain because it would not stay in the right place on my arm and always felt in the way. I have since purchased a smallish (~4x7") slate that I put on a coil tether. Usually it stays in my pocket. If needed, I bring it out, clip it on a ring at my hip and use it (about 1 in 3-4 dives). It then stays out until surfacing when I put it back in a pocket Never gets in the way.

I always carry a small bottle of mask cleaning solution just inside my sleeves, I only get one shot so is important to have it right there and not at the boat. I also take a small slate for fish size and limits just inside the suit upper front chest area, works great for my hobby.

Thank you to all that have responded. Its people like you that make this a great website.

I use a small slate with a compass on it and a retractor. If I don't need it I can slip it into the pocket of my BC with the retractor line out of the way. When using the compass the slate makes for a nice base that I can put notes on.

I find a kids small magnetic doodle pad (sorta like a magnetic powder etch-a-sketch) works good to write a small message and erase it.........never tried the pencil and plastic slates, but have seen them home-made out of 4" pvc pipe section cut in half.......cheap.

I also use the Magna doodle. Works great. Get 'em at toys r us....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom