Dive slate materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use pvc sewer pipe and pilot croquis mech pencils... heat the pvc, and it becomes really pliable. can bend it, flatten it into sheets, etc... I'm also a plumber, so the pipe was already kicking around. large size (8 or 10 ") is also dandy for tank ranks.

I've made some for the backs of consoles etc using white acrylic (Plexiglas) but I used to do acrylic fabrications so I have it laying around. I rough it up with sandpaper (around 100 grit) and find it much easier to erase than the commercial slates that I have been given.

Just like @davecampbell said, PVC makes a nice slate. I took a flat section out of a 4x4 PVC post, cut to the desired size and then sanded the surface smooth with fine sand paper (so pencil lead will stick better). Any PVC will work well!

Delete. Answered an old thread with no new information without reading the OP. :facepalm:

I know this is an older post, I'm working on this myself. I rent equipment, and have a bad habit of leaving my white slate attached to the rental BCD. in a pinch, I have used a piece of plastic from the kitchen on a liveaboard, a piece of plastic I found in the closet of a rental condo, and a piece of waterproof paper someone gave me. The paper worked better than expected, but the floppiness sucked. the kitchen plastic wasn't quite white enough, and the condo plastic eventually cracked and was lost on a dive site (I'm a bad person).

I am currently looking for UV stable white PVC that I can drill. I've usually let it dangle, tucking it in the BCD pocket, but I'm thinking wrist mount might be better. I love DIYing!

Back
Top Bottom