Dive skins , decisions , decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate having to wrestle with wet dive skins myself. I find it much easier to pop into and out of a 1.5 mm one-piece wetsuit. It is a little warmer and it has very little buoyancy (maybe 3-4 lbs?) so suit compression is not an issue for me.

The dive shop where I bought the Henderson recommended a 1 mm for me but I was set on the skin. Eric went with their suggestion and bought the Mares Coral 1 mm to wear as a skin and I think he was much more satisfied. That might be my next exposure suit purchase.

find the talk of wrestling with a dive skin amusing. never had that issue. wrestling with wetsuits yes. everyone is different I guess. just have a hard time imagining that one. My wife is always struggling with her 1 mil or 2/3 mil suit. its impossible for me alone to get on my 2/3 mil wetsuit.
My dive skin--no problem. oh well....

find the talk of wrestling with a dive skin amusing. never had that issue. wrestling with wetsuits yes. everyone is different I guess. just have a hard time imagining that one. My wife is always struggling with her 1 mil or 2/3 mil suit. its impossible for me alone to get on my 2/3 mil wetsuit.
My dive skin--no problem. oh well....

For me, I think it was that inner fleece lining. Wet, it was like trying to pull dough over my skin. The arms were the worst. Putting in on dry is a breeze and pulling a wetsuit over is no problem even wet.

It didn't feel too small but maybe that is the problem. Anyone want to buy a barely used size medium?

What exactly is it? Got a photo.? Only problem I have with skins is they keep getting bigger from me constantly pulling out of them in a not very gentle way. That and Velcro eats them...I'm hard on skins. Need something with more substance I guess. Plus it seems the older I get the colder I get. Lots of layers are a pain to get out of. Ahhh the things we do for our passions !!

I wore the Henderson polyolefin for a couple years and then started buying the Lavacore products and never looked back. The poly just sits in the locker though it is better than nothing. It is a good undergarment and nice and loose. It does provide some warmth, is neutrally buoyant,fast drying and when wet clings to you like a second skin so you might as well be naked when changing in public.

The problem with a frontzip is it's hard to get off by yourself. I have the Lavacore full suit but again it's a frontzip. I wear the separate pants and long sleeve shirt and have the hood and socks. if you dive a lot in warm water with jellies buy the attached hood. The separate pieces allow you to do the potty thing more easily [important when you get older.] Lavacore costs more but I think is worth it. It goes on a little snug but if you put it on early it stretches out comfortably and is not even noticeable by the time you go to suit up. In the winter I wear it as one of the layers under the drysuit in case of a partial flood. It does dry slowly so this could be an issue in the tropics. Be sure to dry it inside out since the outer layer is wind resistant and slightly water resistant so it tends to keep the water in the fleece, inside. It does stick to the bare skin when wet at which time it peels off easy but goes on hard. Wear a lycra skin under it if this is an issue.

The polyolefin is a step above a lycra skin: The Lavacore is a step above the polyolefin and is starting to cross the line into the wetsuit category. I love the Lavacore though I agree with others that there may be an issue with threads unravelling in places. If you can afford it buy the whole line so you can mix and match. As I said before, it works under the drysuit also. As far as looks goes when changing topside, the Lavacore has the look of a wetsuit, the polyolefin looks more like wet underwear.

will look into a lavacore when i have to buy a new suit. i really love my polyofin for warm water diving though. I am investigating a vest first for it to add some more warmth just in case I need it. i do two dives a day in bonaire in march and four a day in bonaire in july. two weeks in march and one week in summer. i am strictly a warm water recreational diver. no more cold water new england diving for me :)

I wore the Henderson polyolefin for a couple years and then started buying the Lavacore products and never looked back. The poly just sits in the locker though it is better than nothing. It is a good undergarment and nice and loose. It does provide some warmth, is neutrally buoyant,fast drying and when wet clings to you like a second skin so you might as well be naked when changing in public.

The problem with a frontzip is it's hard to get off by yourself. I have the Lavacore full suit but again it's a frontzip. I wear the separate pants and long sleeve shirt and have the hood and socks. if you dive a lot in warm water with jellies buy the attached hood. The separate pieces allow you to do the potty thing more easily [important when you get older.] Lavacore costs more but I think is worth it. It goes on a little snug but if you put it on early it stretches out comfortably and is not even noticeable by the time you go to suit up. In the winter I wear it as one of the layers under the drysuit in case of a partial flood. It does dry slowly so this could be an issue in the tropics. Be sure to dry it inside out since the outer layer is wind resistant and slightly water resistant so it tends to keep the water in the fleece, inside. It does stick to the bare skin when wet at which time it peels off easy but goes on hard. Wear a lycra skin under it if this is an issue.

The polyolefin is a step above a lycra skin: The Lavacore is a step above the polyolefin and is starting to cross the line into the wetsuit category. I love the Lavacore though I agree with others that there may be an issue with threads unravelling in places. If you can afford it buy the whole line so you can mix and match. As I said before, it works under the drysuit also. As far as looks goes when changing topside, the Lavacore has the look of a wetsuit, the polyolefin looks more like wet underwear.

Oldflounder, I was very enthusiac about the Lavacore until I tried it on. Both the Lavacore vest and skin cut too tight under the arm. I was concerned it would be uncomfortable for diving. But I understand you found that it loosened up with use?

I am a little on the hefty side and the 4XL long sleeve shirt and/or vest fits me snug and uncomfortable when I first put it on. I don't like tight fitting clothing. I often wonder what the designers use for models....... pygmies??? But after 5 minutes topside I don't even feel it. Does it stretch to fit, does the body just get used to it...I don't know. Next time you try it out, walk around with it for 15 minutes and then note how it feels. I've worn mine maybe 40 dives and every time I put it on it's tight. Of course it will definately loosen up with depth. With the snug skin underneath I can layer up a looser wetsuit and not be effected by the slight water movement if any.

Another little trick I use when I have to use my wetsuit instead of my drysuit.................Put on the Lavacore at home and jump in the shower long enough to get the suit damp inside...let it drip dry for a minute..... put on a set of sweats to keep it moist and go to the dive site.....put your wetsuit on over the Lavacore. Pouring hot water into your suit only gets certain parts of your anatomy wet. My way puts a layer of warm water all over your body before you even enter and eliminates that first shock.

---------- Post added March 20th, 2013 at 12:40 PM ----------

For me, I think it was that inner fleece lining. Wet, it was like trying to pull dough over my skin. The arms were the worst. Putting in on dry is a breeze and pulling a wetsuit over is no problem even wet.

It didn't feel too small but maybe that is the problem. Anyone want to buy a barely used size medium?

A lycra skin is very thin and costs about 30 - 35 on sale. It has little warmth value but is good for the jellies or also as lubricant for the wet fleece which sucks when wet as you say.

Look, if your option is a dive skin and you choose a 1 or 1.5 mm back zip, one piece wetsuit.. there is absolutely NO REASON to get a tight wetsuit!

You have already determined that you don't need the added thermal protection, so just get a thin, easy to put on suit, that is a little loose rather than a little tight. A thin loose wetsuit is easier to put on than a dive skin. AND.. don't raise any BS about a loose suit making drag.. you are wearing a ascuba tank and a BC, a wrinkle or two on a very thin suit is nothing!

.. there is absolutely NO REASON to get a tight wetsuit..... so just get a thin, easy to put on suit, that is a little loose rather than a little tight.

I am not sure there is such a thing as a loose wetsuit off the shelf for the average american. I don't consider myself to be a big man though I do have a big beer gut. I have the largest shirt Lavacore makes and i can barely get into it. I gave my thin 6' tall adult son an XL Scubapro Caribbean shorty last year and he couldn't even get it on.

Back
Top Bottom