Dive sites/shops around Nice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubacastor:
Most of the time I avoid to stay in Paris too long. I just can't stand this city. Noisy, expensive. Some people like it. I don't. If you can, spend more times in Nice. Better weather, better quality of life, not too far from the mountains, italy, nice places to visit such as the Oceanographic Museum in Monaco. October is a mixed period with the weather but diving should not suffer from that. My only dive in France last year was by the end of october. It was a night dive. The air was cold at night but the water was warm and very clear (you could see the moon by looking at the surface from 150ft !).

For your french, don't worry too much. Many people in France know english (Nice is heavily frequented by english and american people as well as italians and russians) but obviously it's a personal reward for you if you can handle a conversation in french :)
Could not agree more. I lived in Paris for 18 years, 18 of them too much. Stay on the coast if you're not into smoky bars, urban and expensive lifestyles and snotty, harried attitudes. A couple of rides in the metro should set you straight about how much Parisians enjoy living there... The Cote d'Azur is expensive, but at least you have a far better environment to enjoy, mountains, nature and of course the sea.

I'll be traveling to Montpellier on business in two or three months. I read where PADI is sometimes difficult to be approved in France. What about NAUI? Also, I thought here in the States, that you can apply for a cross-certification with CMAS?

I don't know about NAUI but I guess a good start would be to look if you can have a YMCA equivalence since this organisation is member of CMAS. http://www.ymcascuba.org/

Things are fortunately changing in France regarding of how PADI divers are recognized. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's hard.

matt_unique:
Any suggestions on where to stay (or areas to avoid) in Paris?

Thanks

--Matt

How long would you stay in Paris? What is your budget?

PS: Don't ever listen to the folks living out of Paris, they don't know what they are talking about eyebrow

Scubacastor:
I don't know about NAUI but I guess a good start would be to look if you can have a YMCA equivalence since this organisation is member of CMAS. http://www.ymcascuba.org/

Things are fortunately changing in France regarding of how PADI divers are recognized. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's hard.

The problem is 1) insurance and 2) the mental disposition of the manager .

Any (French Federation or professional) instructor can decide to take you down and issue a temporary certification (attestion de niveau) valid only in his dive center provided that you have 1) the right insurance and 2) a valid medical certificate.

If the dive center is affiliated with ANMP or SNMP, chances are you would have no problem because their insurance would cover you as a PADI/NAUI diver. If the dive center is affiliated only with the French Federation, you would have to take an additional insurance.

DAN is making some progress but they are not yet right where they should be.

Hope it helps

taranotte:
How long would you stay in Paris? What is your budget?

PS: Don't ever listen to the folks living out of Paris, they don't know what they are talking about eyebrow

3 nights, looking for something low end but not a war zone. I'm traveling solo so no need for a romantic hotel/views, just someplace to ditch my bags and go.

--Matt

Don't ever listen to the folks living out of Paris, they don't know what they are talking about :wink:

LOL. Yes.. I forgot to mention only Parisians seem to enjoy Paris :D :wink: (just kidding)

Yes, however, I think YMCA is now being replaced with CMAS in the US. I guess I could still get an YMCA certification, but it's a long way to a YMCA or CMAS instructor.

Thanks!

Scubacastor:

Service in dive shops in france is not part of what you pay for matt :) you might try IT College in Antibes (just off nice, it's a padi Training centre), contact Jan or Daniela.

I agree with Milka, lots of french businesses still have to discover how to reply to an email :wink: and that's regularly frustrating. One great way to survive in the diving universe in Nice is simply to see by yourself the different charters and dive shops. They are all on or close to the port of Nice which is really small. Most of the time you don't have to book some spaces on boats long before you come (ie if they are open, you can often during the fall book from one day to another) .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom