Dive sites/shops around Nice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To add to all the info that plongeursousmarin & Scubacastor gave, this information reminder of what you will need to present :

- Medical Certificate Stating that you are "fit for diving" (scubacastor, did we finally get the info on what was "acceptable" ? if english would pass there ?)
- Certification Card
- Insurance covering diving (DAN is fine or another Insurance whatever)

There are quite a few wonderful sites in south of france, Nice or corsica if you're there for a little bit of time, the crossing would well be worth it (amazing B42 almost "complete").

scubacastor, did we finally get the info on what was "acceptable" ? if english would pass there ?

I think english should pass easier than a japanese one :wink: . Having it written in french would be better but lots of people running touristic business know english and I don't really see why they would reject something that can be easily officially translated in case of accident. For those who thinks "what's this story about medical certificate ?", in France, you don't sign waiver forms. Instead you have to prove you are medically able to dive and covered in case of accident.

The info is very helpful. I have checked out a few sites online as well.

Is there a special medical certificate they will be looking for? They are not required for diving in the US (or Central America or Caribbean of course).

Thanks again.

--Matt

matt_unique:
The info is very helpful. I have checked out a few sites online as well.

Is there a special medical certificate they will be looking for? They are not required for diving in the US (or Central America or Caribbean of course).

Thanks again.

--Matt
Hi Matt,
in principle the doctor's note should say that you do not have any condition that prevents you from scuba diving. In reality I have never been asked this, except for when I signed up for training classes with the French federation. When I show up at the boat with equipment, logbook and C-cards, no one asks me for the medical release, much less turned me away for not having one. In all likelyhood the same will go for you. If you want to play it safe you can get one done here by your doctor and I'd be happy to translate it in French for you, just PM me with the content.

plongeursousmarin:
Hi Matt,
in principle the doctor's note should say that you do not have any condition that prevents you from scuba diving. In reality I have never been asked this, except for when I signed up for training classes with the French federation. When I show up at the boat with equipment, logbook and C-cards, no one asks me for the medical release, much less turned me away for not having one. In all likelyhood the same will go for you. If you want to play it safe you can get one done here by your doctor and I'd be happy to translate it in French for you, just PM me with the content.

Thanks for the scoop and offer!

--Matt

Speaking of the language, I have been working on some important phrases. This one would be directed to a lady, let me know what you think. (At the moment I will be doing this trip single).

"Ce soir, Je suis Napoleon. Je vais diviser et conquere".

Then if things go really well with that comment....

"Je veux vous faire l'amour de singe".

Ha ha ha! Seriously I can generally say what I want but I'm not fluent such that I can understand a verbal reply. I will be practicing terms and pronunciation over the next 5 months before my trip. When I visit Quebec City Canada I always speak as much French as possible. I studied French for 5 years in school but never had the chance to practice speaking on a regular basis.

--Matt

Hi,

TDI is a member of CMAS. You can request a double-sided certification (TDI on one side, CMAS on the other) from TDI.

I agree October is not the best time of the year. My preferred period is May and June.

Good luck and good dives.

taranotte:
Hi,

TDI is a member of CMAS. You can request a double-sided certification (TDI on one side, CMAS on the other) from TDI.

I agree October is not the best time of the year. My preferred period is May and June.

Good luck and good dives.

Any suggestions on where to stay (or areas to avoid) in Paris?

Thanks

--Matt

Most of the time I avoid to stay in Paris too long. I just can't stand this city. Noisy, expensive. Some people like it. I don't. If you can, spend more times in Nice. Better weather, better quality of life, not too far from the mountains, italy, nice places to visit such as the Oceanographic Museum in Monaco. October is a mixed period with the weather but diving should not suffer from that. My only dive in France last year was by the end of october. It was a night dive. The air was cold at night but the water was warm and very clear (you could see the moon by looking at the surface from 150ft !).

For your french, don't worry too much. Many people in France know english (Nice is heavily frequented by english and american people as well as italians and russians) but obviously it's a personal reward for you if you can handle a conversation in french :)

Sorry, Matt. Don't mean to jack your thread, but I'd like to give it a go as well. Don't know that I'll have time, but maybe can get a dive or two in....

I'll be traveling to Montpellier on business in two or three months. I read where PADI is sometimes difficult to be approved in France. What about NAUI? Also, I thought here in the States, that you can apply for a cross-certification with CMAS?

Cordialement!

Back
Top Bottom