Dive sites near Southampton, UK.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StefanA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I might be relocating to Southampton early next year and I was wondering if there is any good (a relative term) diving in the area. Can't really find much info online...

Hi all,

I might be relocating to Southampton early next year and I was wondering if there is any good (a relative term) diving in the area. Can't really find much info online...

Perhaps you should look here first:

Moved the thread to British Isles for you.

Southampton has various dive sites, but there's some excellent ones to the west of you in Swanage and Weymouth/Portland. Dive boats do leave from some of the marinas, but the diving's generally south of the Isle of Wight, such as Wight Spirit who loads from Lymington.

What sort of diving do you do? If it's recreational, there's lots out of Swanage and Portland. If it's technical, south of the island is good but sensitive to weather. Again Swanage and Portland further offshore.

Dive clubs are another option. There's some BSAC clubs around which are good. Lots keep their boats in Portland.

Can recommend Swanage. Just get their early enough to park on the pier and have a great day's diving and taking in the seaside atmosphere. Classic starter wrecks from Swanage include the Kyarra which is a 15 min boat ride on the shuttle. Nice 30m dive.

Also there's the diving lake at Andark who are also a PADI club & trainers.

Obviously the season's at an end now as we wait for the first big storm of the season to mess up the visibility and drop the temperature. Some boats run all year round out of Portland (Skin Deep, Scimitar) as there's always the harbour to drop into - plenty of wrecks in there.

Another vote for Swanage and Portland.

Unfortunately like @Wibble said, Swanage Boat Charters and Divers Down will close at the end of the month for winter.

You could drive to Porthkerris Divers next summer, you can stay there and either dive from the shore or book a place on their boat, if that’s your thing.

Thanks Wibble & BlueTrin.

Really useful info that.

I'm TEC45/Sidemount certified and my wife and daughter are Rescue Divers, so we'll mostly be doing recreational diving, with possibly the occasional tec dive for myself.

Can most of these dives be done in thick wetsuits, or do people generally use dry suits? We've been living in the tropics for the past five years so I've completely forgotten what cold water feels like.

Thanks Wibble & BlueTrin.

Really useful info that.

I'm TEC45/Sidemount certified and my wife and daughter are Rescue Divers, so we'll mostly be doing recreational diving, with possibly the occasional tec dive for myself.

Can most of these dives be done in thick wetsuits, or do people generally use dry suits? We've been living in the tropics for the past five years so I've completely forgotten what cold water feels like.
You'll love the diving out of Swanage & Portland. Perfect for recreational depths.

And a dive under Swanage pier; the baptism of many a newbie diver. Literally walk down the steps and dive.

Most people dive drysuits all year round. Water's warm enough for a wetsuit from July onwards at around 18 degrees. It's 16 degrees C in the Channel at the moment (mid Oct). February's a chilly 7 degrees.

Sorry to bang on about Swanage; there's some nice intro level dives off a boat. The Valantine Tanks; couple of tanks (as in the things with tracks and bangy-thing on top) that sank about 100m apart. Nice dive at 16m. Was amazing that they sank with a convenient rope between them. Some nice drifts too.

After the dive get some fish & chips with an ice lolly and a cuppa.

Most people dive drysuits all year round. Water's warm enough for a wetsuit from July onwards at around 18 degrees. It's 16 degrees C in the Channel at the moment (mid Oct). February's a chilly 7 degrees.

Brrrrrr, I'll have a tough time getting out of bed to go diving in a wetsuit knowing that temps are that low. I dove in NE US for almost 30 years and I just can't handle it with wetsuit anymore.

Are there many decent shore dives there besides the pier or is it mostly boat diving?

Are there many decent shore dives there besides the pier or is it mostly boat diving?
There are shore dives. But there is a fair amount of current too. Shore dives are much nicer in the north of the British Isles as the geology is more interesting.

Boat diving is primarily on wrecks. Lots of wrecks. Like thousands of them. Some of the wrecks around the Isle of Wight and Swanage.

For a more comprehensive list of wrecks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom