Dive Sites in Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tabbykatt3:
Seadeuce,

Thank you for responding. We're hoping to finalize our route by January for an end of June - early July 2005 tour. We are going to do 8-10 days in Southern Ireland starting at Shannon and ending in Dublin or vice versa. We're open for suggestions.

This is a tour trip for my parent's family. My father, 79 yrs old, is all Irish (his original last name is Diggin) and has never been to Ireland. I have 5 brothers and sisters and we all have families who hope to go with my mother and father. Thus it's a tour of your beautiful country and wonderful history.

My daughter Amy, now a rescue diver who learned to dive in Australia when on a college semester two years ago, and I, an old time diver (prior BC's and computers) who just restarted diving two years ago (yes so I could dive the Barrier Reef in Australia when I visted Amy) and am doing my advance dives in December at Key Largo, Florida, are the only two divers. A few others do snorkel. Thus we probably will only get to do a couple morning dives when there - but can't miss the opportunity.

I have a sister who is a boater and she would like to do some boating too - maybe the same time we dive.

I'm open to suggestions to get the best couple dives and have time to try to influence the travel route.

Amy has a degree in Natural Resources with a Marine Science Minor and is getting her teaching certification in biology. I'm a "natureman and adventurer" (also do white water rafting, bodyboarding, skiing, etc..). We would lean towards the nature aspect of dives, but would not rule out a "must see" other type of dive. Also don't mind paying more to dive in with a small party, stay away from the volume tourist sites and to get to the more pristine dive sites.

Any other suggestions on non-diving "must sees or dos", especially related to your beautiful countryside are welcome.

Really appreciate your efforts in providing advice and guidance.

Kurt Williams
(Tabbykatt3@Comcast.net)

My parents are planning the same family trip but in Dec. I have suggested that I would like to get in a few dives during the trip or maybe stay a few extra days to get in some dives.

Please post or PM me any information/suggestions for 'don't miss' type diving or non-diving. I believe this is going to be a week or two trip after Christmas time frame for the end of this year (2005). I plan to get some additonal training with a dry suit and wreck diving, any other suggestions on training or equipment that would improve my experience is welcome. (view profile for present training)

I will look at the websites listed above to start my own research.

Thanks for any additional help.

Please post or PM me any information/suggestions for 'don't miss' type diving or non-diving. I believe this is going to be a week or two trip after Christmas time frame for the end of this year (2005).

All dive centres are closed at this time of year, so no rental gear available.
If you have your own gear, well there might be a chance of getting a dive or two. What part of the country are you coming to?

I plan to get some additonal training with a dry suit and wreck diving, any other suggestions on training or equipment that would improve my experience is welcome. (view profile for present training)

You would be lucky to get wreck diving in, what with the weather, centre closed, post-Xmas hangovers :) Etc.
The sea is quiet at this time of year. Very few fish - all gone deeper. Plus the visibility is not the best either.

Not putting you off, but that's just the way things are here.

Now if it were from April forward, then you might be able to achieve your aims with some level of certainty.

Cheers,

Seadeuce

Trip was going to be some type of tour from Dublin to Shannon or round trip from Dublin out into Ireland then back to Dublin over the course of a week or two.

I do have my own equipment but would want to rent a tank, weights, etc. so I don't have to lug them over the pond. I would guess if the dive shops are closed it may be better to reconsider trying to dive during this trip. Trying to fit it in with the family thing was going to be hard enough.

I'll continue to research, but it sounds like I should try to return during the dive season to get the most out of it.

Back
Top Bottom