Dive Sites Around Nags Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluwaterbrew84

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can anyone help me create a list of good dive sites around the Nags Head area for novice divers?

I am getting back into diving and just completed a refresher course. I last dove around 2005 and have around 20 dives under my belt. I will be diving with my girlfriend who I would also consider a novice although she has more experience than me. She has been diving for less than 2 years and has around 35 dives under her belt.

I would prefer sites in less than 100' of water for now. Also, areas known for good visibility. Everything that I dove in the past was out of Beaufort NC. I am not as familiar with dives sites in the northern part of the state.

The reason for diving in the Nags Head area rather than the Beaufort area is because I have a free place to stay there.

Thanks for any help!

Give Pam a call at Roanoke Island Outfitters in Manteo. They do guided shore dives in Kill Devil Hills a few days each week.

Enjoy your shore dive ! Don't forget to take in some of the local food and beverage .
OBX brewery . Awful Arthurs , and the Jolly Roger !
Cheers
Sea Dwellers

I second the RIO recommendation. We vacation every year in Southern Shores/Duck and they are my go to now. I'll be diving with them again next week. There are plenty of good wrecks, both from the shore and from the boat.

A third endorsement for Roanoke Island Outfitters here. Did a few shore dives with them a few weeks ago while in Nags Head, great experience with Pam and Sarah (second name may be incorrect, but I think it was Sarah).

Did the Triangle Wrecks and the wreck of the Huron. Triangle Wrecks had amazing visibility the day we went, saw a ton of wildlife on that wreck. Could be related to the beach nourishment somehow, not sure.

Another interesting dive if you're in nags head - while technically not open water - is in the Manteo Aquarium. They will allow divers in the large tank they have there. I did it and it was a pretty neat experience. Some sand tigers and nurse sharks in there, a few big hogfish, etc. I enjoyed it.

Does anyone have any other dive shops that the would recommend? ROI is booked up for Saturday. We may possibly do a dive with them on Sunday if we can get enough people for the boat to go out.

That's the only dive shop that end of the OBX if I remember correctly. There may be other charters that operate independently, but as far as shops go there was another one that shut down in the past few years. And then I believe there's one that operates out of Hatteras as well.

If you're comfortable with the Beaufort/Morehead City dives, then Nags Head will be fine. The more challenging stuff is south at Hatteras (they are amazing dives).
The U-85 is off Nags Head. Great dive with great history (1st U-boat we sank off the east coast in WWII). It's been about four years, but I remember it was fairly easy with no current. There was actually a reverse thermal - 10 degrees warmer on the wreck than the surface

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom