Dive sites around military bases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firebrand

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was just wondering about local dive sites around military bases you may be at or were at. I'll begin the list with my current duty station.

Redstone Arsenal - Rock Divers (Max depth 50 fsw, 8 acre quarry)
- Blue Waters in Pelham (near Birmingham)
- Dive Land Park in Glencoe, AL
- not so close is Loch Low-minn in Athens, TN (three hours away)

I'll let you know when I get to Kansas, last I heard it would be a corn field....LOL.

Fire.. I did not realize that you were at Redstone... I use to visit there frequently.
I lived near Scottsboro for a while waiting to ship to Germany. Fond memories..
Sorry to take this off topic..

Camp Schwab Okinawa- Ourawan Bay, Hedo Point, Hedo Gulch, many others

Camp LeJeune NC - The Graveyard of the Atlantic

Both are some of the best diving I've done in the world.

Defense Language Institute, The Presidio of Monterey and The Naval Post Graduate School are in Monterey, CA great diving year round

Ft Hunter Liggett and Ft Ord are also within reasonable drives.

Lake Mead is about a 30 minute drive from Nellis. OK diving, nothing to brag about, but it's still divable. California is a 4 hour drive.

Schofield Brks. Ummm...the whole island!!!

Man, there are tons of people from Madison! I used to live there too.

Anyway, I'm stationed at Patrick AFB in FL (cocoa beach). We have dive sites in every direction. I usually go down to Jupiter FL or West Palm Beach FL (about 2 hrs south). I've done a few springs in central FL and hit Key Largo to do the Duane and Speigel Grove (about a 4 hour drive).

I assume you are army...we have an army unit on base. Maybe you can find a way to get assigned there if you really want to dive.

Well, as an update to my original post, Rock Divers has now closed their doors forever, and the city of Madison is looking for someone to operate the Madison Aquatic Park for them. I will update the info as I find out.

lstepko, please PM me with the info about the unit on that base. I am originally from Florida, so that would give me lots of opportunity to spend time with the family I still have down there!

Firebrand:
Well, as an update to my original post, Rock Divers has now closed their doors forever, and the city of Madison is looking for someone to operate the Madison Aquatic Park for them. I will update the info as I find out.

lstepko, please PM me with the info about the unit on that base. I am originally from Florida, so that would give me lots of opportunity to spend time with the family I still have down there!

Sure thing. I know one guy that works there so I'll see what I can dig up. At worst I can get you a contact and a little info on what they do.

Laura

Back
Top Bottom