Dive Shops that Offer Discover Scuba for Older Clients

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are other posters here who have reported issues with dive centers/dive ops if they were in their 60s.
Sure, there have been age-related dive shop/center issues -- I think always with the older versions of the form which had some ambiguities -- but not with the latest version RSTC form, I don't think.

Yes, if each dive center makes up its own rules then that's that.
But the OP dealt with an overseas destination which may be a little more realistic in their requirements. Probably best to pick a dive shop and get their requirements in writing.

I've never been at a dive center or a liveaboard that required a signed medical if you could answer No to the all the questions...except in Australia where everybody has to be signed off. Have you experienced otherwise?
Not personally. Just saw one guy turned away in Maui. He wound up going with someone else as I ran into him later and we chatted. He planned on getting certified. I'd say he was mid 50s. I believe this is statistically rare, but possible.

Not a lawyer either, but the dive center may insist on a signed medical form from a doctor. I would strongly recommend that the person takes this form with them to their doctor when getting a physical.
Well, you're an instructor: What's your policy?
In reality, PADI is just trying to shift liability to somebody else. I'm not sure my doctor would be willing to take on that legal jeopardy either.

Well, you're an instructor: What's your policy?
I don't do DSDs/Try Scubas in open water. When I open up a dive center, I will be under EU law, and at this moment, Europe does not have the ridiculous lawsuits that the US does. I hope that doesn't change.

My recommendation is that people discuss activities with their doctors and for something like scuba to at least have that discussion as the doctor knows many things I don't.

I don't do DSDs/Try Scubas in open water. When I open up a dive center, I will be under EU law, and at this moment, Europe does not have the ridiculous lawsuits that the US does. I hope that doesn't change.

My recommendation is that people discuss activities with their doctors and for something like scuba to at least have that discussion as the doctor knows many things I don't.
My doctor signs my medicals, but he also (1) looks me over twice a year, and (2) has me do a full-up exercise test (sensors all over me, inclined treadmill, etc) every two years and logs my METS.

I've never been at a dive center or a liveaboard that required a signed medical if you could answer No to the all the questions...except in Australia where everybody has to be signed off. Have you experienced otherwise?
Natalie Gibb, owner of Under the Jungle in Mexico, requires a physical for all diving activities, even guided dives with no instruction. I believe some others in that area do as well.

Natalie Gibb, owner of Under the Jungle in Mexico, requires a physical for all diving activities, even guided dives with no instruction. I believe some others in that area do as well.
She requires a physical exam, or the RSTC paperwork?

ADDED:
I just looked up her site. For guided tours she requires the TDI (older) version of the RSTC form, but a doctor's signature only if you answer Yes to any of the questions. Pretty standard. And for courses, the same.

In reality, PADI is dive agencies are just trying to shift liability to somebody else. I'm not sure my doctor would be willing to take on that legal jeopardy either.
FIFY. The dive agencies probably don't have legal risk as far as my little legal understanding goes (based on the discussion of agents in the Linnea Mills death discussion). This is more for the dive center/instructor protection. Has there ever been a legal case for a DSD/Try scuba participant suffering an injury/death for a medical issue and being a lawsuit? I'm not aware of one (doesn't mean it hasn't happened).

Doctors sign off these forms all the time, so chances are they don't see a risk. If they refuse, chances are it is because of health issues of their patient, not fear of litigation. But I'm not a doctor either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom