Dive Shops for Cert. in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the feedback. My experience with the LDS in CT where I live, was abysmal. The guy was more interested in selling me his overpriced goods, than my training, and was overtly pissed when I didn't make some purchases. Now I'm looking for a shop where I can do my AOW training while in FL.; I want to know that the priority of the shop/instructors is proper training, and not to sell me gear. It shouldn't matter if I'm a local, or just coming in for my training; either there's a commitment to good training or there isn't.

Ed

If you've gone to a good shop, it isn't going to matter if you're local or not. Where the best dive shops excel at is post-certification engagement and how they help you as a diver beyond your AOW class. Unfortunately in your case, these types of services won't be of much use to you if you're just looking to take the class and do the checkout dives.

You're looking in about 100 miles of coastal environment where there are dozens of shops per city that *COULD* fit your needs. Maybe you could narrow down exactly where you will be staying so people can narrow in on a quality dive shop closer to where you're going to be?

DiveMaster Tom:
You present an intriguing option.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2013 at 06:36 PM ----------

Splash-X:
In contrast to most people who look for a dive shop based upon their destination, I'll choose my destination based upon the dive shop I decide upon. DiveMaster Tom just opened up a new option that I hadn't previously considered.

Ed

Ed,

I respect that this is your thread and your education but you've just turned this in to a "where is the best dive shop in the state of Florida" thread. Good luck on your search.

I third Dixie. I've known the owner for a number of years, and he's a knowledgable guy that loves to dive. On top of that the staff are all well mannered, concerned about the customers needs, and know their stuff.

Splash-X:
I can see where the thread could take on a life of its' own; everyone chimes in with there favorite shop from an undefined area. Hopefully that won't happen. I'm just trying to get some objective feedback so I don't have the same issues I had when I did the OW course. Thanks for your input.

Can we throw in a vote for Force-E? We think we rule! Then again, we may be a bit biased.
03.gif

But seriously... you deserve quality instruction. It is too bad that your first experience was not ideal, but the good news is that South Florida is a great place to do your training. There are several quality dive shops around here! Believe it or not, some people are actually looking for a quick and easy course, so some places provide the bare-bones training to get them the certification. When you go to sign up, it doesn't hurt to let the dive shop know of your expectations. Good instructors love to share their knowledge and experience, so they will be excited to teach you.

Good luck and enjoy the warm Florida waters!

There are SO many good ones I could recommend. But the one I've recommended most often, the one I've gotten countless "thank you"s for recommending, is UnderSeas Sports in Fort Lauderdale.

I did my checkout dives for my OW cert with undersea sports.I could not have been happier! Good gear, great dive sites, and the instructors were top notch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm curious about where the OP did his OW class that was so disappointing. You can PM it if you're reticent about naming names.
I'm not sure what kind of experience you're looking for in AOW. It kinda is just a bunch of dives and a card. You ought to narrow your area down a little - Pompano Beach to Key Largo is a little big- so it's either an op in Broward county or an op in Key Largo.
The Tampa op sounds ok too, although with the viz, it can be like diving in a warm Portland Quarry.

I never said anything about warm. 3 thermoclines and a halocline for the deep diver with Narcosiss drill, followed by navigation and search and recovery in at best 10 foot viz with instructors and DMs hiding in the dark like sharks in case you need help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom