Dive shops/clubs etc San Antonio, Tx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingvisit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, hope you don't mind a newbie popping in here...and I hope this is the right place to post it!

Rumour has it that I might be heading to Texas sometime around September I guess (sorry if I'm a bit vague, but I don't know myself). I'm literally just PADI OW qualified, here in Tampa, and hopefully going out next weekend to do my first saltwater dive (and I suppose first "proper" dive...). After that I'll be heading back home to the UK for a bit, and then "probably" out to San Antonio. My work takes me around a bit!!

Anyhoo, having gone off topic myself, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on dive shops/clubs, excursions etc etc that would be good to get some experience with. I'm still fairly nervous, and want to start slowly, preferably where there is some good visibility and somewhere that won't be too deep. I wouldn't mind if there were some other novices like myself around too - I don't really want to ruin more experienced diver's days by being the one who won't go to certain depths etc, but I do want to take my diving slowly at first until I feel more confident. My last dive was max depth of 37ft, and I felt very comfortable, but it was great visibility (and great instructor)!!

Sorry if I ramble on... in summary - San Antonio - suggestions for - diving shops/clubs, further instruction, buddies and dive sites?

Welcome to Tx and the Swamp Divers forum. There's a visibility related reason for calling it swamp diving. :D

For reasonable viz and less depth and a (really small right now) current you might like to dive the Comal River at Hineman Park. Especially in Sept when the tubers have mostly gone home. There are several people on here who dive there, especially in the winter as it is spring fed and 72F all year. Google Maps and search for hinman island, new braunfels, tx

You might also like to take the Science Diver class that will allow you to dive in Spring Lake. Water is 72F year round and visibility is usually great, when water comes out at it's normal rate. Just now diving and visibility is limited because of the reduced flow. Diving for Science : Aquarena Center : Texas State University

Personally I'd recommend locating in Austin, the diving mecca of Tx. :) But if you _must_ live in San Antonio Dugan's Diving has been very well spoken of on here. Diving the world

I agree with Peppermint, Lake Travis is a good spot to break into the Texas swamps! Check out Windy Point and Mansfield Dam, those are two good shore diving areas. Lake Travis Scuba, although i haven't tried it, is supposed to be good as well.

If you go north any, there is Stillhouse Hollow lake below Waco, Mammoth lake and 288 lake near Houston, and several others.

here's a good site for ya:
http://www.peterman.us/maps.html

Welcome to the Swampers forum. Check out our web site, Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba, for more information about our charters. There is always a DM on the boat to assist with your diving and the divers experience runs the spectrum from newbie to very experienced yet all are willing to help since we have all been new at one time or another. Diver safety and satisfaction is our primary goal and you can read comments on this board from divers who have been on Giant Stride.

You can't find a nicer group of people than the Texas Swamp Divers to help you get your feet wet diving in Texas.

Dive Safe and Often,

Robert Weiss
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

I have been out on the Giant Stride a couple of times. Robert's got a nice boat to dive from and always a good group of people. There are some nice spots like the Oasis wall that are only accessible by boat.
If you come down the Austin way and need someone to dive with, just let us know!
Carrie

I dive the Comal pretty often early in the morning on weekends since it's nice clear water and close to my house. You are welcome to tag along any time. :)

Get in touch with these guys: Diving the world

John is a good guy and a real character - I'm betting he can set you up with some locals for a trip to the Comal or a dip in Canyon Lake. Have a blast in SA!

Trey

Welcome to the board Flyingvisit and welcome in advanced to texas. Visibility???? Come on, you will be in Texas soon, we don't know what that is here.
Honestly, I just dove Stillhouse this past weekend for the first time and under about 40' vis was pretty good. There are many different places to dive with different viz. It all depends on where you get located and how far you are willing to drive
Just post here when you find out where you wil be located and I know there will be a Swamper willing to join you for a dive anytime.

I'd like to thank you all for the warm welcome and the tips etc.

Lake Travis and Aquarena in particular are now definitely on my list of places to go. Aquarena definitely seems interesting as I would love to be involved in underwater conservation/study, and to be honest the whole thing about seeing what creatures/nature was underwater is what led me to be interested in scuba in the first place!!

I'll definitely give the guys at Diving the World a call/visit, as hopefully if I can log a decent number of dives, I'd like to upgrade to the AOW.

My saltwater dive in Tampa this weekend didn't happen (long story, still trying to find out what happened to the boat I was supposed to go on), so I'm wondering are there any places off the coast of Texas in the gulf you would recommend as good for "beginners". I know there are rig dives etc, but the depths seem a bit much for me at the moment...? I'd still like to do some saltwater dives if possible.

Many thanks for all the help so far, and hopefully I'll get to meet some of you on my travels soon!

If you end up in the San Antonio area, don't forget the Comal River. While it is only 12-13' max, it is a very fun place to dive due to the excellent vis, potential for tuber loot and ease of access (if you go early) in relation to the San Antonio and (at least) South Austin areas.

It doesn't bother me that it's shallow at all, I still have a good time. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom