Question Dive shop won’t hydro test tanks due to previous hydro test stamp placement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Egottech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
IMG_2516.jpeg
IMG_2515.jpeg
Hey Y’all!

I bought a compressor and the gentleman gave me two tanks he said the dive shop wouldn’t hydrostatic-test because of the previous hydrostatic-test stamp location. The tanks are in great shape other than the stamp. The stamps seemed to be in an adequate location to my untrained eyes. Was hoping to get your thoughts on if the tanks could somehow be tested from another local dive shop (LDS), if indeed the tanks are shot and if they are could/would it be safe to fill to 2500-3000 PSI for use around my shop. Your thought are appreciated and welcomed. Below are some pics of the tanks:

-Edwin

Attachments

• IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2519.jpeg
    IMG_2519.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 57
Looks like Billy Bob went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of stamps and put that on there.

It's either on the shoulder or on the wall, if it's too low on the shoulder it's on the shoulder where it should be?

Imagine moving this box around, that's Billy Bob from the dive shop that had to send a second box anyway

048.JPG

and stamping legitimate stamps in illegitimate places, that's Billy Bobs cousin Billy Bob at the hydro shop

053.JPG

and the other cousin Billy Bob from the dive shop approving they be sent to me hoping I wouldn't notice

Now that would be some hoping

Thing is, being Appalatian is not a crime, and they can generally do more stuff than we can
it's dumkopfs out there that compound ignorance with lies and want to make you unhappy
by making you work for your money again after you already did, so don't take it personally
even if they know you and you are friends

Would that preclude a legit hydro from being done now?
I'm guessing it would depend on the facility. It does look low on the shoulder. A hydro facility might say that the tank is compromised?
I honestly don't know. I do know that if it was stamped like that, the shop I worked through would not fill it. I doubt he would even accept it to go to hydro. Kinda says this cylinder was not properly cared for.

It's either on the shoulder or on the wall, if it's too low on the shoulder it's on the shoulder where it should be?

Put a sticker on it

Put a sticker on it
I would but don’t want to risk mine or someone else’s safety. However I guess that is what a hydrostatic test should be for right; to test the integrity of the cylinder. Anyone else’s thought on the matter? Is it ethical etc?

I would but don’t want to risk mine or someone else’s safety. However I guess that is what a hydrostatic test should be for right; to test the integrity of the cylinder. Anyone else’s thought on the matter? Is it ethical etc?
Putting a sticker over a stamp that is too low is a really dangerous suggestion. Scrap the damn tank.

Back
Top Bottom