Dive Shop survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They’re also the ones who have what you want in stock, don’t take weeks to get it to you, don’t spin lies to push the brand they happen to carry, and have customer service skills.

Rotten scoundrels....

How dare they provide what the customer needs using a successful business model!

Shameful.

..I'll revisit the survey. Curious to see what it will be used for.

Pretty much unchanged.

...//... I'm currently in the process of starting a business ...//...

I'm not going to lie: I don't know what dive shops want or need to help them grow their business ...//...

OK, then. Given 'A' and 'B', (and the fact that you already claimed to be the biggest) are you attempting to start a referral service?

You know the kind that I mean, like the Addiction Hotline ad on TV. "Why haven't you called me yet?" So I would assume from the available sketchy information, that your business plan is to run a referral service and funnel business to paying dive shop members.

Yes? No?

OK, then. Given 'A' and 'B', (and the fact that you already claimed to be the biggest) are you attempting to start a referral service?

You know the kind that I mean, like the Addiction Hotline ad on TV. "Why haven't you called me yet?" So I would assume from the available sketchy information, that your business plan is to run a referral service and funnel business to paying dive shop members.

Yes? No?

Ding ding ding!

Yes? No?

Nope. This whole idea for a website started with a basic question: where can I find a dive shop that sells Argon?

I searched the web and found many different Dive Shop locators (including PADI) but none of them let you do the kind of deep search that a diver would want.

Google results didn't help either. It seems like the only option is to cold call dive shops and ask (which I know most people, including myself, hate to do).

So I gathered as much basic data from dive shops around the world as I could and developed a search tool that, while primitive, works fine. To find out who sells trimix, argon, rebreathers, etc. I have to directly contact every dive shop and have them fill out a questionnaire.

I'm still in the process of doing that, but I've also started thinking of what else dive shops could use. Sure, an online search tool that lets shops promote their whole business is fine, but is there more I could do?

That's where we are now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the few dozen responses so far. I actually purchased the paid service with Survey Monkey which allows for more than 100 responses. Keep the responses coming and share with any other dive professionals you know.

A few realizations based on the comments so far:

Online Sales

I've changed my tune a bit. It was probably the experience with my own old-school dive shop, but I now realize there has to be an online sales component to every dive shop. This doesn't mean your entire shop is online and you operate out of a closet, but you must have some of it available.

Market Saturation

I know there are a ton of dive shops out there already.

I know there are a ton of marketing companies out there already

I know there are a ton of people out there who promise to make you the next premiere dive shop if you only buy XYZ from them.

I also know most dive shops would rather do stuff in house. Maybe we can start there here and do something differently.

Doom & Gloom

I don't know what you guys go through.
As an average diver looking in from the outside, dive shop management seems like a dream. Sharing your passion for Scuba with others, taking trips to exotic places, and "doing what you love."

Obviously that's only part of the story. The dive industry isn't what is used to be and a lot of people are hurting.

I'm not going to say "look at the bright side" or "cheer up. You SCUBA for a living!"

I'm saying "Let's start talking to each other and share information."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom