Dive shop question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They probably want you (or at least your $$) more than you want their AOW class. Your options on that class should be many. Their options are most likely an empty seat or a canceled class. Tell them they need to come up with a better idea as to how you can schedule that class. BTW, what kind of a guarantee are they going to give you that they will conduct the class for you?

I wouldn't provide a copy of my Driver's license.
I wouldn't send a copy of both sides of a credit card via email. Regular email is not a secure way to send personal/financial information unless some sort of encryption is used.

Contact the dive shop by phone and let them know that you are uncomfortable with the arrangement. Perhaps they'll give you another way to make advance payment.

The reason that they want copies of both sides of the credit card and your driver's license is to avoid doing a "card absent" scenario when they charge your card. Credit card companies have a different set of rules for transactions in which the card is not present. It makes a huge difference to the vendor if you contest the charge. The dive shop was probably burned by customers not showing up or doing chargebacks.

I would arrange for some other kind of payment to them

Agreed. If they need your info to hold the class then you can give it to them and allow them to charge the card when you arrive. Also no reason to give your driver's license at all. What about getting a prepaid card and sending them the info from that? No ties to your bank accounts and they can still get their money with the security code on the back of it. As for ID send em a copy of your OW card!
Just out of curiousity where is the shop you are in contact with. It does make a difference.

The dive shop returned my email today. They are happy to take my info over the Phone. The dive shop is Aquacenter diving in Flamingo Beach, Costa Rica. I am not worried about them scamming me, they are an established reputable shop. Thanks for the info, I just wanted to make sure I was not overreacting. I am looking forward to a great trip!

Not specifically about the original post but here's a suggestion.... while you are there try to get to the bat islands to either do ray island (tonnes of rays including mantas) and/or the bull shark dive - both incredible dives from that part of Costa Rica, if you do no other diving from there then at least try to get those in. They are quite a way off shore, if your operator does not run those trips then give rich coast diving a call when you are in the country

Not specifically about the original post but here's a suggestion.... while you are there try to get to the bat islands to either do ray island (tonnes of rays including mantas) and/or the bull shark dive - both incredible dives from that part of Costa Rica, if you do no other diving from there then at least try to get those in. They are quite a way off shore, if your operator does not run those trips then give rich coast diving a call when you are in the country

I work at a Marina that rents houseboats. If we can't prove that the person has the actual card in their possesion, not only are our transaction fees much higher but we are at a much higher risk for the people not showing up. They can call their card company and say that they didn't make the charge and we are out about $2000.00 and since they didn't cancel we didn't have the opportunity to re-book. If we have the card to slide or a photo of it and have a copy of their id we don't have that problem. The only way they then can get away with it is if the card was reported stolen and they didn't use it again. We take the number by phone but pay a highter transaction fee for it and risk the loss.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom