Dive shop owner killed by exploding tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

100days-a-year

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I got a call from LDS telling me,also found e-mail from fltechdiver list with some details.Apparently details are forthcoming.Sorry that usually bad news sells.Prayers to family......

Wow:eek:

That was one heck of a blast. I never would have imagined a catastrophic tank failure doing that much structural damage to a building.

Condolances to the family.

Tom

You beat be me in posting this. The article was just forwarded to me tonight. I'm looking forward to the specifics.

Not good.

Mike

Originally posted by Tom Vyles
I never would have imagined a catastrophic tank failure doing that much structural damage to a building.

Tom

The weight of your family car pressing down on each square inch of the tank. That is a lot of energy when released!

Joewr...

terrible tragedy...My prayers to the family.

and I've gotten strange looks when asking if it's safe to keep a tank in a hot car trunk?

Anyone know how thick a typical aluminum tank is? I can't imagine what it would take to blow that apart, seems like it would crack and leak out fast instead of bursting. But I have seen a 6 foot acetalene(sp) tank drop and bust the valve off and launch through a brick wall and sail about 100 yards into a field all in the blink of an eye.

As sad as it is-

I must say I have a very solid kind of opinion about anyone that get's a tank to explode. It dosnet just happen, It happens only if you mal-treat tanks or do not preserve safety regulations.

Now let's not jump to conclusions here, Liquid. We don't know anything about that tank. It could have been one of those bad AL tanks or an abused ancient steel tank.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom