Dive Rite Transpac II BOUYANCY PROBLEM

Is the Dive Rite BC any good?

• Does it have bouyancy issue?

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Were is the best way to place your weight?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
I just purchased my first BC which is a DIVERITE TRANSPAC II. I have a problem when floating on the surface, everytime I float I cannot stay upright, the BC turns me face down into the water and I cannot get upright, unless I kick to force myself upright and then continue Kicking.

Its extremely frustrating and stressfull if I should ever need to go up in an emergency in the middle of the ocean and I cannot get myself upright.

I'm 5"7" tall and weigh 230 lbs. I have the trim weights attached to the small D Rings to theTRANSPAC II Harness. The trim weights sit between the REC WING Bladder and the harness.

I also carry 16 pounds of weight in the quick release add on pouches, they sit directly on the sides of my body. I do not use a regular weight belt.

I dont know what it is, that prevents me from getting upright in the water, I stay face down. Anyone who has had this problem, I would appreciate your help, and ideas on how to solve it. FYI, I also tried experimenting with bladder inflation both little air, little more air, and a lot of air. Still doesn't work. I am a top heavy guy, so I dont know if that means anything.

Please give me your advice?

Strap a 5 lb weight on the bottom of your tank. That should help. How much do your trim weights weigh?

I just started to use back inflation and experienced the same problem, there are two things that I have found to resolve this:

1) Don't have too much air in the bladder (i.e. almost totally empty such that you are almost neutral). Make sure that you are actually neutral - with the bladder totally empty and an empty AL tank (500-750 psi) you should not sink like a rock but should sink on exhale. With too much weight on, you have to keep your bladder too full to stay on the surface in a vertical position.

2) lay flat on your back.

I am 5' 9" 150lbs, with a 3mm full wetsuit in fresh water I carry about 5lbs of weight and am slightly negatively buoyant (1-2 lbs probably) when an AL80 has about 750 psi left

Terrible way to ask a question .

I didn't think the $$ for the trim weights made much sense so I made four nylon staps with grommets in them to mix and match weights. Also didn't want to have to travel with my own weights. As I got my weight down, in warm water, I ditched the pockets and went with a belt with the weights to the rear. This was also cleaner and better for boat dives. Also didn't need the trim weights and have gone to the travel wing for warm water. So warm is OK.

Cold water, only done a few dives, but know 34lb's in the pockets sucks on a beach dive. Next time , depending on beach or boat, I might put as much as 20 on my back and the rest in the pockets or on a belt. Despite the "little" air, it will go to the top of the wing. You might need to go to a smaller wing. I think a tank weight is a great ideal. I might make a nylon strap to hold it so I can use somebody elses block weight or put it on the lower tank strap.

I don't think the TPII has a buoyancy problem, it just has a ton of options to mess with. I also have a little bit of a problem on the surface caused by the fins I'am using. (Force) So I'am just messing with the variables and it just gets better.

good luck , don O

I dive TransPac II and quite happy with it. So far, only had experience with singles AL80. I put about a quarter of the weight on the lower tank strap, using holders, similar to those made by Halcyon. The other 3/4 is on the belt.

In addition to everyone elses advise... except selling them on ebay (sorry Unc) Try pushing the weight pockets back as far as possible. When I used the pockets mine were actualy almost right up against the wings...

Now that I've switched to a weight belt I als keep the weights tward the back.

Ty

Originally posted by tchil01
except selling them on ebay (sorry Unc)
Shoot... no problem Ty...

For the resourceful there is always a work~around for every inherent design problem...

Good job in finding one that works to correct the face down problem...

Did it introduce any additional problems?
(I'm trying really hard not to include the over-used *convolution solution* - shoot... it just slipped out...)

:wink:

Did it introduce any additional problems?

No problems associated with moving the weights to the back, just with the weight pockets themselves. I use 20lbs, and with that much weight shoved in the pockets, they always seemend to be in the way...

So the pockets came off and went into that future ebay box I keep in the garage, and I went to a hard weight belt. the weights are nice and tight.. and out of the way. I have been looking at the weight belt mentioned on here... but so far the hard weights are working great for me.

Ty

Originally posted by tchil01
No problems associated with moving the weights to the back,
Good... I'm glad it is working for you Ty...
I just had a PM from another Scuba Boarder with a *roll control* problem and he was thinking of putting more weight to the back... well of course that would only exacerbate the problem...

Back
Top Bottom