Dive rite Trans plate or trans pac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awdemeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am making the big switch to a harnis system and i am torn betweena trans plate and a trans pac. I am going to go with a venture wing to dive a single al 80 I would like to get into tech diving and doing doubles with deco bottles. I also use a drysuit and use in a jacket bcd about 34 lbs of lead. any info would be much apreceated

I wouldn't get a transpac or transplate b/c they are sized and don,t have many d rings, also if you only want dive rite look at their deluxe harness or if you are willing to venture out of dr look at the oms 6 dring harness, This is what I have

I was wondering the same thing. I'm about to buy the Transpac but would really love to hear from someone who has tried the transplate. Specifically, is the transplate as effective at distributing the load to one's hips [instead of the shoulders] when the diver is not in the water?

I have a transplate and if you are planning on doubles and your decision is between the plate and the pac....go with the plate. The pac can not handle doubles well at all.

The Transpac can handle double but you need a stiffener kit for it. The Transplate, like all hard plate system, is designed for double diving so it's ready to boogie.

The Transpac is more versatile (side mount, rebreather, comfort for humping your heavy gear up and down hills or over long distances). I have the Transpac for when I travel so that I can add or subtract dive weights as needed. I have the Transplate with SS plate set up for California cold water wetsuit diving (or for similar conditions elsewhere).

thanks all for your imput

Dive Rite products are great but I would go with the plate and hog rig (one piece webbing) rather than the transplate which offers unnecessary complication with no real benefit. Transplate is no more comfortable, is much more difficult to assemble and adjust, and has unnecessary padding and a chest strap which doesn't really do anything. One piece rig is just as adjustable and is equally as comfortable. I've made the entire trip from jacket bc to back inflate to"delux comfort harness" (transplate) to hog rig. Wish I had listened in the first place.

The pac can not handle doubles well at all.

I have dove twin 130's with two slung 67s on a Transpac. All things are personal preference, but there is no advantage stability wise between a Transpac and a BP. FOr me, the stability edge actually goes to the Transpac. The slop in a non adjustable harness makes carrying those tanks to the stairs on the rocking boat sketchy. A Transpac cinches nice and secure.

And there is the huge adavantage of one piece of gear (Transpac) that can you set up to dive from tropical travel with an AL63 to twin 130s and slung 67s in that you already know where everything is, because you dive that same rig all the time.

A plate (without a pad) in hot places sucks for topless diving because the plate gets painfully hot in the sun. Not that that is a big deal, but it does suck (or it is extremely funny if it happens to someone else).

If you are going to dive backmount doubles, use the Transplate. I have both and the Transpac does not work as well for backmount. However the Transpac is good for sidemount.

I woudl tend to agree with dkktsunami. Try out a 'Hog' rig (Diverite, DSS, Halcyon the list goes on and on and on.....) Single piece of webbing, steel and aly plate, normally 5 'D' rings (front of crotch strap, back of crotch strap, left hip and 2 shoulder) and a wing......ready to rock n roll!! If comfort is an issue then get a plate pad (also good for storing DSMB's). This one rig (with the exception of the wing) will suit for nearly all the diving you would want to do!! They are infinitly adjustable, last for ever and are so comfortable in the water often you forget its there.....

Back
Top Bottom