Dive Rite Seven-LED Back-Up Light malfunction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive_Girl PNW

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Dive Rite Seven-LED as my back-up light. I was very excited about this light as it is compact and has 7 led bulbs in it, which shouldn't ever need replacement (advertised 100,000 hours of burn time), but even better, if one burns out - the remaining bulbs will still work. Perfect back-up light right?

Well, when practicing light failure drills, I attempted to deploy and turn on this light at about 150'. The light was checked and testing on the surface - it worked beautifully. When attempting to turn it on at that depth, it started clicking and wouldn't turn on. Looking at closely, it appeared the clicking was coming from the light head that I was twisting to turn it on. It appeared the pressure was actually forcing the head back and it was pushing so hard it was skipping threads - thus the clicking sound and why the light wouldn't turn on. The light is rated to 200'!! I really like the compact size and features of this light, but if it doesn't work at depth, then what is the point!!!?? My dive buddy has the same light and experienced the same issue.

So, I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue with this light????

I know at friend had problems w/ it and sent it back to DR and had problems w/ the new one also. Im not sure if they make the 7 LED light anymore but compared to their single LED light the single LED light blows it out of the water.

Send it back and ask for a single LED.

I just think most people think that 7 led's are better than one.

i had one of these as well. had exactly the same problems. would usually only work on shallow dives and occasionally on deeper dives. eventually it flooded. wasn't very impressed cos they are quite expensive out here.

ads

My rule of thumb for depth rating after some similar experiences with other items is half of what they(read any manufacturer) claim. May be a little cynical but I'd rather be safe than sorry. All of my lights are rated to 500 ft or better. So I guess I'm good to 250. One exception is the one watch I saw in a scuba magazine review. Forget which one but, believe it's a breitling is rated to 15,000 ft, I'll take their word for it.

JimLap:
My rule of thumb for depth rating after some similar experiences with other items is half of what they(read any manufacturer) claim. May be a little cynical but I'd rather be safe than sorry. All of my lights are rated to 500 ft or better. So I guess I'm good to 250. One exception is the one watch I saw in a scuba magazine review. Forget which one but, believe it's a breitling is rated to 15,000 ft, I'll take their word for it.

I’m sorry to say this JimLap, but it sounds like you have been buying from the wrong companies. A little extra money for a product from a “good” reputable company with a long track record is money well spent.

Before I started distributing Metalsub lights I was, and still am an Underwater Kinetics light fan.

http://www.uwkinetics.com

In the plastic dive light market, I think they are the best. I still carry a “Sunlight SL4 Dive Light” in my BCD pocket as a backup and I have taken it and a Light Cannon 100 down to 55 meters (182 ft.) many times with no problems. I have never used any of the lights you are talking about but I have “never” had “any” problem with Underwater Kinetics products.

As for Metalsub lights, we under rate the light for depth rather than over rate like you say. All Metalsub lights are guaranteed to 150 meters (495 ft.) even though we pressure test every light and battery pack we make to 250 meters (825 ft).

Metalsub,

What kind of handle do your lights have?

Metalsub USA:
I’m sorry to say this JimLap, but it sounds like you have been buying from the wrong companies.
http://www.uwkinetics.com
Yeah, the only UK light I've ever owned was a real disaster. Flooded the first time I used it; never did work right. I may still have the carcass if you want it.
Replaced it with a backup light from Dive-Rite and have never had a bit of trouble since.
So much for "buying from the wrong companies."
I'm just a customer, so unlike you, I have no ulterior motive in reporting my bad experience with UK, and my good experience with Dive-Rite. Just the facts.
---
Looks like the 7 LED light was a bad product. I see that it's no longer listed in Dive-Rite's product line. I never owned one, but I've owned a lot of Dive-Rite stuff over the years, and whenever I've had the occasional problem Dive-Rite has been swift to respond and fix it. As far as I'm concerned, Metalsub USA's bash is totally unwarranted and a cheap attempt to promote his own stuff by bashing others. I am not impressed.
Rick

tedwhiteva:
Metalsub,

What kind of handle do your lights have?

Hello tedwhiteva,

There are two carry modes for the Metalsub HID series, Goodman handle or flashlight style. If you look at my photo gallery you’ll see the HID200 and HID125 with Goodman handles. These light heads only weigh 100 gram or 3 ounces underwater so holding them like a flashlight is very easy with no hand fatigue. Our handheld lights have the typical lantern style handle, see the photo showing the XL7.2 15 watt LED light.

Dive_Girl PNW:
I recently purchased a Dive Rite Seven-LED as my back-up light. I was very excited about this light as it is compact and has 7 led bulbs in it, which shouldn't ever need replacement (advertised 100,000 hours of burn time), but even better, if one burns out - the remaining bulbs will still work. Perfect back-up light right?

Well, when practicing light failure drills, I attempted to deploy and turn on this light at about 150'. The light was checked and testing on the surface - it worked beautifully. When attempting to turn it on at that depth, it started clicking and wouldn't turn on. Looking at closely, it appeared the clicking was coming from the light head that I was twisting to turn it on. It appeared the pressure was actually forcing the head back and it was pushing so hard it was skipping threads - thus the clicking sound and why the light wouldn't turn on. The light is rated to 200'!! I really like the compact size and features of this light, but if it doesn't work at depth, then what is the point!!!?? My dive buddy has the same light and experienced the same issue.

So, I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue with this light????

Hey Dive Girl,

Take a look at Green Force, www.mantaindustries.com. We offer a full line of lights including our single 3 watt LED rated to 900'. you will not have the same problem with activation or flooding.

Thanks - Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom