Dive Rite Regs??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miami_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
IM currently looking for a solid tech reg and I have been looking at dive rite.the prices are not that cheap when you compare to some more popular brands ,ive decided to go with their tech gear (back plate, wings,etc.I know their bpW set up is solid but havent heard much about their regs.
thanks!!

I keep hearing good things about the regs. In fact, I just bought one of the octos yesterday. The first stage seems set up nicely for hose routing from what I could see. They also make parts easily available and people I know who work on their own regs tell me they are dirt simple. I'm going back and forth between those and the DS4.

I have a RG1200 Dive Rite Reg which is their base model. I have it set up for DIR single tank and I use a Dive Ritet Octo. This regulator breathes very well and has a sealed first stage. Some people have said they freeflow while riding a DPV. I don't have any experience with DPV use so I can't comment. I've used mine to 130 ft with no problems, and have used it for air share drills with other divers. I have no complaints so far.

When I purchased dedicated regulators for my doubles I strongly considered the DiveRite, Zeagle, and Apeks. I ended up with the Apeks because the initial price for all of the regs I was considering were pretty close and Apeks has the "free parts for life" thing, the others do not. I also like the way the dive/predive control works on the Apeks and Zeagle. The DiveRite has the little control on top and the internal workings of this control are different, I don't know if it is any worse, just different and I like the other way. My opinion of the three first stages, the Apeks ATX50, the Zeagle ZX-50D, and the DiveRite RG2500ICE are all alarmingly similar, and the second stages are also excellent, the only major difference is the dive/predive switch on the DiveRite.

I have seen all three brands used in caves, and would have no reservations about using any of them myself. You are considering some top regulators so look at the details surrounding the edge of the deal like maintenance costs and ease of getting them serviced or obtaining parts if you plan on doing it yourself.

Mark Vlahos

Doesn't Dive Rite give you a overhaul manual and sell overhaul kits for their regs so you can service yourself ? But do you still need special tools in addition for IP etc.

I've been using the new Dive Rite RG1208 first stage, RG2500 2nd stage and RG1205 octo for a few months now and I've not had any problems with it so far. Delivers air nicely in all situations I've dived recently, some tech, some instruction, some pure recreational. All orientations, upside down, whatever, all good.

The adjustment knob can be a little sensitive, so you want to watch for slight free flow if its been sitting in a bag and the knob maybe moved a little. Easy fix.

The RG1208 is designed for tech and has a DIN fitting, but comes with an adapter yoke for normal tanks. You can get an environmental kit for extreme coldwater diving to add to 1st stage.

I like it a lot.

ScubaSarus:
Doesn't Dive Rite give you a overhaul manual and sell overhaul kits for their regs so you can service yourself ? But do you still need special tools in addition for IP etc.
After you begin to service regulators, special regulator tools and regular old tools that you modify yourself take on new meaning in your life. I'm not saying that I would kill someone using a reg tool to open a can of paint with. Well, I don't think I would.
Dive Rite sells manual and parts; Larry at Scubatoys sells Zeagle repair parts. Tech Diving Limited sells Abyss repair parts - after that, you have to needlessly scrounge repair kits on eBay and elsewhere.
The Apeks free parts-for-life is a nice idea, although you still pay for labor. I'm just not that wild about someone else overhauling my regulators.

I've got the DR regs (not the new black version however) and am very happy with the quality of the 1st stage. I have not been impressed with their 2n'd stages however, so I use the 2nd as my bungeed backup (it's still a very good reg) and use a Kirby Morgan superflow for my primary. The reason I don't care for the DR 2nd is because it has such a high flow rate it feels like it's forcing air down my throat. I prefer the easy, more "natural" breathing I get with the KM.

For my next reg set I am planning on another DR 1st stage to keep servicing simple on the 1st stage side, then go with another 2nd stage. (probably another KM)

The availability of parts/service manual was a big part of my initial decision to go with DiveRite -

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom