Dive Rite Regs??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim,

Glad I finally have an excuse to say something to you! (congrats on the DIRF. Your story and vids are one of the reasons I really looked into DIR)

Which DR second did you get? The 2500 or the 1200? The reason I ask is that I am wondering if the 1200 might have NOT pushed so much air. Also, I believe that both the 2500 and the 1200 have adjustable pressure now so you can turn them down. I remember when I got my Oceanic Delta all those years ago, and changed from my class regs to the Oceanics, I thought it was going to drown me with air! Adjusing the cracking pressure helped a bit, but once the flow was going, it was strong. I guess that's just average by today's standards.

What is your IP set at in the first stage? Maybe turning it down to 130 or 135 might have made things more manageable?

Howdee from the south! :)

kidspot:
I've got the DR regs (not the new black version however) and am very happy with the quality of the 1st stage. I have not been impressed with their 2n'd stages however, so I use the 2nd as my bungeed backup (it's still a very good reg) and use a Kirby Morgan superflow for my primary. The reason I don't care for the DR 2nd is because it has such a high flow rate it feels like it's forcing air down my throat. I prefer the easy, more "natural" breathing I get with the KM.

For my next reg set I am planning on another DR 1st stage to keep servicing simple on the 1st stage side, then go with another 2nd stage. (probably another KM)

The availability of parts/service manual was a big part of my initial decision to go with DiveRite -

Aloha, Tim

Hey PerroneFord,

Thanks for the comments about the DIRF - Eventually I gotta take it again as my 6 month provisional ends this month ... alas no opportunity to get past my provisional rating that time :( (part of living off the beaten path for GUE I guess)

As to the reg - it's the 2500. I've tried it on 4 different 1st stages including 2 DiveRites, an Abysmal and an old oceanic. All of them responded the same. I actually can't remember what the IP is set at (and I've never attempted altering it yet, since I'm so happy with my the way it works with my KM) I use the DR as my backup and just detune it all the way so that it does not freeflow while diving.

I'll check the IP when I get home next week to see where it's set...

Aloha, Tim

PerroneFord:
Tim,

Glad I finally have an excuse to say something to you! (congrats on the DIRF. Your story and vids are one of the reasons I really looked into DIR)

Which DR second did you get? The 2500 or the 1200? The reason I ask is that I am wondering if the 1200 might have NOT pushed so much air. Also, I believe that both the 2500 and the 1200 have adjustable pressure now so you can turn them down. I remember when I got my Oceanic Delta all those years ago, and changed from my class regs to the Oceanics, I thought it was going to drown me with air! Adjusing the cracking pressure helped a bit, but once the flow was going, it was strong. I guess that's just average by today's standards.

What is your IP set at in the first stage? Maybe turning it down to 130 or 135 might have made things more manageable?

Howdee from the south! :)

I think that most people find that when they look at t5he price and performance and reliability, they get most value out of the Apeks. Otherwise any of those regs are fine if that is what is available in your area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom