Dive-Rite Rec wing vs. Venture wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lift bag. If you use yer BC there a good chance on becoming a polaris missle if ya drop that thingy yer bringing up. Oh by the way, I have a Rec wing, use it for singles and doubles.

Well I guess the original poster already made his decision - but I'll add much own perspective. I bought the I'm stupid with the Rec wing diving a single AL80, and I love it. I did have to get used to it though. First, the wing wraps around the tank a little bit if the bungee underneath the wing isn't tightened. Second, I have to change position slightly to vent air easily (basically I just have to roll my left side a little higher).

-Nick

Mambo Dave:
How do we get stuff up off of the bottom then? What if I find a nifty 3-ton anchor? Or a VW?

what are you going to do with that VW or 3 ton anchor once you get it to the surface?

BTW... Dive Sports has the Tranpac II with your choice of wing on sale right now. I haven't seen this any cheaper anywher else, including DiveRiteExpress.

check out.

http://www.divesports.com/mall/diverite_bc_transpacwingsssystem.asp

comes with
1 Dive Rite Transpac Harness T300x
1 Dive Rite Wings (Venture, Trek, Rec) BC20xx
1 TransWeight 16 or 32 Pocket System T212x
1 Crotch Strap with Scooter Rings and Fastex Buckle BC1056
2 Stainless Steel Buckle Cam Straps BC2034

TY for the continuing newbie education (on both the RecWing and the Lifting of Suburbans)! I've read about lift bags, but hadnt thought about using one, LOL.

Do they pack up small enough to not be a hinderence if, say, already rigged for bugs?

Thanks mike, but I am watching the FedEx shipment trying to get to me as we speak. It's on it's way from http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/closeouts.html
I do believe John treated me right - Great guy (as he was described to me), knowledgable and very, very helpful. He defines customer service (and I've been missing good customer servicne since moving down to south FL... come on down and go to just about any restaurant or shop and you'll get a taste of what we have to live with, lol (oops, I certainly don't mean the LDS's though!)). Tell him Dave Hanny sent ya.

Although it is probably too late for the original poster, I'll add my two cents for others. I have dove both the Rec and Venture Wings. Both are fine wings. However, for single tanks, I like the Venture wing better. I appreciate the lower profile, streamlined design, and circular aircell. It handles better UW. The cam bands work well (do not need a STA). I dive steel 100s with the SS backplate and use a 7mm or 3mm fullsuit. I am 6' at 215pds and this wing has plenty of lift for me. To me, this is also a question of economics. If you think you might dive doubles later and cannot afford to buy a second wing, the Rec is a good way to go. However, if you plan to dive just singles or can afford to buy another wing later, the Venture would be a great choice. The Dive Rite web site states that the Venture wing can handle up to a steel 130. Another observation, I suspect that Ishie from Sacramento dives in a drysuit or two piece wetsuit whereas Mambo Dave from Lauderdale probably dives wet in a lightweight fullsuit (maybe a little heavier suit in the winter). All factors to consider.
Sometimes, at least in diving, less is more.

or just make 2 loops out of bungee ont he bottom holes on your backplate, roll the liftbag up and store it there...easy to get at, and is out of the way..

Already have a Dive Rite safety sausage back on those bottom holes - great place for it - really easy to get to.

Well, I dove the Rec Wing yesterday. I need a whole bunch more experience down there, and with the wing, but it did well considering what I did to it. For those who don't know, the RecWing has a hidden bungee system to compress the wing for single tank use. When I got the wing the two hooks for the bungees were hooked on two middle grommets. I noticed the amount of slack in the cords, and pulled the bungee tighter by hooking the hooks high up on the wing (in fact one goes all the way up, then comes back down to the halfway point). This really tightenend the RecWing up to what seemed to me to be a single wing set-up.

With a 3mm suit, hoodie, an aluminum 80 and probably too much weight (12 lbs. plus the backplate), the wing certainly had enough buoyancy.

Question for those using the RecWing: No experienced wing diver claims to have seen anyone do this, but Dive-Rite has six grommets that correspond to holes on the perimeter of their backplate (sides of top, middle and bottom). Instead of allowing the wing to taco the tank, I tied down these grommets to their corresponding holes to spread the (now compressed) wing out, and keep it that way. This was done just because I could, and in chasing some vague theory :doctor: of the dispersion of lift being better (in that it was wider across the back). Has anyone with a RecWing also done this? I may call up Dive Rite to ask them what they had in mind by designing the wing and backplate this way (don't get me wrong - I like it :sunny).

-- Peace, and Merry Christmas,

Dave

Back
Top Bottom