Dive Rite LED LUX - comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisculina

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Thinking of buying a small cannister LED light. Anyone got something to say about the Dive Rite LED LUX?

Other suggestions?

Edit: I someone's got this light, I'd be very happy if they could post a pic showing its spot on a wall or something. :wink:

I have the previous generation to the LUX, and I absolutely love it. If you want a light think about getting a Light Monkey 50 watt HID, yes I said 50 watts.

I have the previous generation to the LUX, and I absolutely love it. If you want a light think about getting a Light Monkey 50 watt HID, yes I said 50 watts.

Yeah, I've tried it. And the 35 W HID. And the 25 W LED. I want a smaller cannister though, that's why the LED LUX caught my attention. Also, it's pretty cheap, considering lumens and burn time.

I have had the LUX 900 for about 5 months now. I have about 25 cave dives with it and I really like the light.

Pros:Lightweight, Low Profile, LED, so no bulb replacing, Good burn time on battery
Cons: Doesn't have a tight beam, Can be hard to see if diving with people with stronger lights

I tested a number of lights before buying this one. There are other great lights out there...Light Monkey, etc. But I decided on the Lux for price and LED performance. There are stronger light out there to be sure. But, the tight beam isn't a major deal for me. Also, I have not had trouble signaling buddies, even when they have stronger lights. I think it is a good all around light.

I bought mine from Ed at Cave Adventurers...he has a GREAT price. Email him and see if he has any deals he can work with you. He has Free shipping on International orders over $699.00...AND he also gives you TWO Intova 3Watt back up lights with purchase!!! You can't beat that. Here is his link...tell him Glen sent you!

Primary lights : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Thinking of buying a small cannister LED light. Anyone got something to say about the Dive Rite LED LUX?

Other suggestions?

Edit: I someone's got this light, I'd be very happy if they could post a pic showing its spot on a wall or something. :wink:

I have had the LUX 900 for about 5 months now. I have about 25 cave dives with it and I really like the light.

Pros:Lightweight, Low Profile, LED, so no bulb replacing, Good burn time on battery
Cons: Doesn't have a tight beam, Can be hard to see if diving with people with stronger lights

I tested a number of lights before buying this one. There are other great lights out there...Light Monkey, etc. But I decided on the Lux for price and LED performance. There are stronger light out there to be sure. But, the tight beam isn't a major deal for me. Also, I have not had trouble signaling buddies, even when they have stronger lights. I think it is a good all around light.

Thanks! I guess the compact design, the LEDs durability and its burn time outweighs its beam. :) Have you tried it in low vis?

I bought mine from Ed at Cave Adventurers...he has a GREAT price. Email him and see if he has any deals he can work with you. He has Free shipping on International orders over $699.00...AND he also gives you TWO Intova 3Watt back up lights with purchase!!! You can't beat that. Here is his link...tell him Glen sent you!

Primary lights : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

I know, GREAT price! :) That's where I first came across it. Actually going there this summer to do a course or two with Chipola, and I havent decided if I want to order it online or wait until then.

Beam Comparisons for LED Dive Lights - Dive Gear Express

Been using my brand new DR LED Lux now for a week's diving here on the wrecks of Truk Lagoon; light color is noticeably whiter than my buddy's 21W Halcyon Explorer HID, but the HID is a much tighter "laser" beam.

Thanks! I guess the compact design, the LEDs durability and its burn time outweighs its beam. :) Have you tried it in low vis?

What you stated is a pretty good summary of why I went with the LED LUX. If having a super strong penetrating light is what you need, then HID is for sure the way to go. I have used the LED LUX in low viz....if you go to this video you will see one in use:

Untitled on Vimeo

We were diving Hole In The Wall last week in viz that wasn't to great. If you look at the beginning of the video where everyone is shinning their lights while a diver is tying the reel in....the diver with the white tanks on top is using a 10W HID, the guy directly under him shinning on the reel has the LED LUX you are talking about. It might give you a real world comparison in viz. that was not to great. The video is pretty bad, it was only taken with my camera's video with no video lights. All of my videos on my vimeo page were taken when I was using my LED LUX.

I know, GREAT price! :) That's where I first came across it. Actually going there this summer to do a course or two with Chipola, and I havent decided if I want to order it online or wait until then.

That is great....you will enjoy diving with Rob (Chipola Divers). I did Intro. Cave with Rob. Good thing about Ed at Cave Adventurers is, you can try before you buy. When you dive with Rob, Ed will allow you try out different lights before you buy one. That is what I did before I bought the LED LUX from him. Let me know when you are coming to our area. Marianna and the Mill Pond is a GREAT place to dive. Absolutely beautiful caves and caverns.

What you stated is a pretty good summary of why I went with the LED LUX. If having a super strong penetrating light is what you need, then HID is for sure the way to go. I have used the LED LUX in low viz....if you go to this video you will see one in use:

Untitled on Vimeo

We were diving Hole In The Wall last week in viz that wasn't to great. If you look at the beginning of the video where everyone is shinning their lights while a diver is tying the reel in....the diver with the white tanks on top is using a 10W HID, the guy directly under him shinning on the reel has the LED LUX you are talking about. It might give you a real world comparison in viz. that was not to great. The video is pretty bad, it was only taken with my camera's video with no video lights. All of my videos on my vimeo page were taken when I was using my LED LUX.

So that's the one... checked out your videos earlier to see if I could spot your.. eh.. spot, but wasn't sure. Nice videos btw. :) Actually, I think I need something with more juice, and probably have to settle with a bigger cannister. This is an example of very good visibility around here. Right now, I have a Halcyon Proteus14, but I'm thinking of rebuilding a broken 21W Salvo with a Hartenberger halogen light head I've got laying around somewhere. Just as a temporary light, because the Pro14 is just ridiculously big.

That is great....you will enjoy diving with Rob (Chipola Divers). I did Intro. Cave with Rob. Good thing about Ed at Cave Adventurers is, you can try before you buy. When you dive with Rob, Ed will allow you try out different lights before you buy one. That is what I did before I bought the LED LUX from him. Let me know when you are coming to our area. Marianna and the Mill Pond is a GREAT place to dive. Absolutely beautiful caves and caverns.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. Doing the intro to cave myself. :) Staying in Marianna for two weeks. I'll let you know when the date is set. :)

Just got the led lux have not used it yet, will be soon. check this site out for a comparsion of lights go to divegearexpress.com, click on lights, click on the led lux and then on light comparsion.

Actually, I think I need something with more juice, and probably have to settle with a bigger cannister.

I just saw your video. If that is typical viz then you will probably be happier with a HID for sure. Ed has a number lights you can try if you haven't purchased one by the time you get there.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. Doing the intro to cave myself. :) Staying in Marianna for two weeks. I'll let you know when the date is set. :)

Rob always invites former students to tag along if he is doing a class and there is room. So, let me know when you are coming....I will check with Rob and see if I can tag along. If not, I might be diving on the Mill pond that weekend anyways. Let us know what you decide on the light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom