Dive Rite LED 700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for letting this thread go along without, but I purchased the LED 700 for $518 bucks, including shipping to Hawaii, from DiveGearExpress. I just got notified this morning that it has shipped. Appreciate the help, everybody. I'll put up a nice review once I get it into the water.

Peace,
Greg

Sorry I came in this late but I have the DR 700 hand held (I did not order the cord kit) and my dive buddy has a 10W HID, the LED is as bright or maybe a little brighter than the HID but the HID has a tighter focus. The LED color is also whiter but I don't know if I think that makes any difference. I dive mostly in a fresh water lake with low vis and side by side both cut through the muck about the same. The battery life is unreal but I am not sure about the 12hr full power and operate to 30hrs but I can say you can expect 8 hrs of full power. I intended to order a extra battery holder (and may later) but the light burns so long it may not be needed. Yep I like the light! JMHO :D

Paul

Thanks for the info, Paul! Still haven't gotten to dive mine yet, not out of Iraq yet. I just had the opportunity to purchase one as a favor from a friend, long story. But I'm guessing your fresh water lake is Lake Travis which I did have the opportunity to dive this summer and it let me know I needed a better light than the pistol grip Pelican I was using that night.

Peace,
Greg

I have the 700 and took it diving in a very tanic spring, it performed perfectly. The cost and life of the light outweight the focus of it. It is very bright. and the cost was excellent.

Joe

Thanks for the info, Paul! Still haven't gotten to dive mine yet, not out of Iraq yet. I just had the opportunity to purchase one as a favor from a friend, long story. But I'm guessing your fresh water lake is Lake Travis which I did have the opportunity to dive this summer and it let me know I needed a better light than the pistol grip Pelican I was using that night.

Peace,
Greg

First.. Thank you for your service my friend, I am in your debt!
Yes Lake Travis and since you have dove there you know exactly what I mean. You will be happy with the light. If you are ever in the area again give me a shout and we will go dive and grab some grub on me..
Be safe and Godspeed.

Paul

I'm tossing up between a 500/700 DR or the Deep Outdoors cold fusion light ScubaGearPlus Products Deep Outdoors ColdFusion Field System, Canister Light Systems

I like that the cold fusion light has the option of rechargable battery pack or disposable battery pack, although with those burn times it's probably not a big factor for me

There are some good deals on the DR700 going at the moment, $499 with goodies Lights - Canister Lights - 700 Lumen Convertable Light - Northeast Scuba Supply

Can anyone compare the DR vs Deep Outdoors??

Well, I went with the corded DR LED500 from caveadventurers, hard to go past that price

Did three night dives on the USAT Liberty in Tulamben - awesome dive site!

But, I had a problem with the light, chewed the batteries in a little over an hour, by the end of the second 50 minute dive it was barely putting out any light. Changed to a new set of duracell alkaline batteries, same thing. No drama, just switched to my backup

Contacted CA, who in turn contacted DR. Apprently they've had some problems with hungry modules. I'm returning it, they're going to upgrade it to the 700 lumen module for $90 (usually $150) to make up for the postage/inconvenience

Sounds pretty fair to me

The performance of the light - when it was working properly - was pretty good, although as has been commented by other posters, it has a wider angle than an equivalent HID light and therefore doesn't 'cut' through lower viz water as well

But overall I'm happy with it, especially for the price - good travel light, or if I get a 'proper' can light later, I'll de-cord it and use it as a backup

I only had the 500. It was not bad but I was shocked that the little Intova 4.7 LED was significantly brighter (and tighter). That's a $49 light.

Back
Top Bottom