Dive Rite independent doubles rig...Experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Anyone have experience with the new Dive Rite ID rig? Not the older one I have seen with the ABS plates, this one just has bands with a metal ring between each pair of bands.

Tried to slap this together with a buddy last night and for the life of us, it was impossible to get those bands tight enough to feel secure on the tanks.

To boot, there was virtually no documentation to make sure we have it all together as intended, not even a high quality picture to guide us...

Input...

jagfish:
Anyone have experience with the new Dive Rite ID rig? Not the older one I have seen with the ABS plates, this one just has bands with a metal ring between each pair of bands.

Tried to slap this together with a buddy last night and for the life of us, it was impossible to get those bands tight enough to feel secure on the tanks.

To boot, there was virtually no documentation to make sure we have it all together as intended, not even a high quality picture to guide us...

Input...

I buy a fair amount of Dive Rite products from DiveRiteEXpress.com in Florida. Give them a call. I have found they are extremely willing to offer advice on gear configuration.

The new DR independent doubles uses the same stainless cam buckle that I have been using on my DR STA. I use this with a single 125 OMS mightybomb and the two straps hold it pretty snugly. These DR buckles are my second-favorite tank straps in the world after the old Scubapro straps.
So the obvious question here - did you thread them correctly? Most people do not and depend on the velcro to keep the tank in place and not the locking cam action of the buckle itself.

Hi guys
Thanks for the input. I may have to call them in the end, but living here in Japan without a good calling plan hurts...

The bands I received do have the metal cams. I belive they are threaded properly (same as my other cams) and the whole system seems to have a lot of slop. I thought part of it might be the two rubber pads in each band, but for all I know, someting might be threaded improperly. The documentation stinks, though, so no way to know...

JAG

Soak the straps for an hour or so and fit them on the tanks. Once you snug them down and feed the loose end under the rubber pads and then smack down the velcro pretty good, you should have a wicked hard time closing the cam. Once you get the cam down though, the straps should be locked down really well.
When my wife, an instructor from a different agency than mine, dived with her bc, she had her cam bands threaded improperly the whole. She always had to loosen the velcro to take the bc off. When I rethreaded it properly and showed it to her, she just regarded it as more proof that I must be league with the devil him/herself to know arcane secrets like that.
Now if this all doesn't help you, Deep Sea Supply has this rubber wedge piece "Cam Strap Tension Pads" that you can fit in the band to help keep things sliding around. I've seen some of their stuff, and they make some well-engineered gear.
http://www.deepseasupply.com/page13.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom