Dive Rite Hogarthian Package?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

octopode

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,

I'm buying my first SCUBA unit and would be new to a BP&W system. I am an SRD with 50 dives logged, and though I understand many divers of my experience level wouldn't necessarily make the switch, it seems to offer some distinct advantages for (legal) fish and invert collection, which is what occupies most of my bottom time.

Can anybody recommend/deter me from Dive Rite's Hogarthian package with the Travel EXP wing? Though I may have to do some backplate hunting for a proper fit, their harness and wing seem decent and reasonably priced.

If there's a gear or tech forum I should be on instead, please do direct me, but I thought I might get a pretty balanced opinion here.

Thanks!

Jacob

Why do you suspect you may need to hunt down a proper fitting backplate?

I suggest contacting Tobin George of Deep Sea Supply. He's exceedingly helpful and generous with his knowledge. He'll be able to analyze your specific needs.

A hog harness, be it Dive Rite, DSS, OMS, Halcyon, Golem Gear, ad nauseaum, is a hog harness. It's a long length of 2" webbing with a handful of D-rings. Personally, if I were to get a hog harness, I'd buy the webbing and D-rings from a dive shop instead of paying Dive Rite (love their gears), Halcyon, etc. for their mark-ups on something as simple as 2" webbings and D-rings.

Short Version
Call or email Tobin at DSS and have a conversation. He truly is the man.

Long VersionI have dived several different BCs and currently dive a BP/W set up (DSS BP/W and a DUI Classic harness for my weight belt). I spent a lot of time on research and am very happy with my set up. Fit was insanely good. And the plate (even diving in a t-shirt was comfortable) with no padding!

I would encourage you to call/email Tobin at DSS (more below).

Background:
A BP/W consists of three major components: the backplate, a wing (the floaty thing) and a harness. The simplest harness is a called a Hog harness.

For a plate, there are two choices: light (typically Kydex or Aluminum) and heavy (typically stainless. Plates may come in a variety of sizes to fit different divers (short, tall, big, etc.). If you use stainless, you can typically take some lead off of your belt.

For a wing, you need one size to your needs. Avoid anything that pretends to work on both singles and doubles. I also avoid bungee wings. Your wing needs to be able to do two things: a) float your gear with a full tank and without you in it; and b) float you at your heaviest configuration such as with a full tank and a compressed suit.

For a harness, a Hog is simple and, I found, perfect for me. It is simple: a single length of resin impregnated webbing, some d-rings, some tri-glides (weight belt keepers) and a weight belt buckle. There are other options but I would start simple and see if that works.

Then there are the other minor pieces to the kit that I think you need. First is a crotch strap. While it sounds strange, they are a great thing. I would not use a BP/W without one. Second is two cam bands (assuming you are diving singles) to attach the tank to the plate. Third is some some little rubber blocks that help keep the tank tight. Depending on the system (DSS singles wings and some Oxycheq don't require this), you may also need a STA (single tank adapter).

Then there is the other stuff you can add. Back pads, shoulder pads, pockets, etc. IMHO, these detract from the rig but to each their own.

Why DSS?
First, they have really well thought out and solid gear at a very fair price. Second, they have many options around plates. Third, they have great customer service and provide great advice. Finally, they really make it easy.

For example, they will sell you an entire kit. It comes with a plate (size/material of your choice), a wing (model of your choice), Hog harness (tri glides, d-rings, buckles, webbing, etc.), two cam bands with elastomer blocks, inflator hose (with their quick relase handle) and crotch strap. I think you also get a DIR knife. Their wings do not need a STA (at least the ones I looked at as well as the one I own). That is everything you need!

They will also take the time to figure out what will work best for and they will not sell you stuff you don't need. The cost may seem steep but when you start adding up all of the bits it is a really a very good orice.

Other
Other brands besides DSS? Lots of very solid brands. I own an Oxycheq wing (as well as my DSS) and it is also a great peice of gear. Halcyon is also great (but at a premium price). I would personally stay away from OMS. No first hand experince with other brands.

I would also look through the Equipment/BCs & Weight Systems Forums.

There are better wings out there. Also, your need for SoCal diving are very different from the needs of most Floridians.

Another vote for calling Tobin at DSS. He's just down the coast from you, in Pasadena. He'll help you with your gear selection, even if you don't end up buying his stuff. (But it's really, really good.)

The dive rite travel EXP looks like the best designed single tank wing dive rite has yet made. I'd buy one if I didn't already have a travel wing. As far as pricing goes, I've frequently seen that wing on sale for under $200. Check caveadventurers and north east scuba supply for that. There's nothing wrong with dive rite gear or their customer service.

I'm not sure what the "hogarthian package" is, but what you need is a plate, a wing, a harness, some cam bands, and possibly some pockets for weights. If you like the dive rite wing and can get a deal on it, fine. You can also get a dive rite plate, or an oxycheq. Either will work, and there are others. Unless you're a very unusual size, a standard plate will work fine. The hogarthian harness is just a length of 2" webbing and some hardware. The only difference is in the materials and stiffness of the webbing, and to a smaller extent, the quality of the hardware. Dive rite and oxycheq will be very similar in this regard. Same for the cambands, and for pockets I like the simple XS scuba camband pockets. They're small, simple, and cheap. I personally would not want to clutter up a BP/W with large quick release pockets. If I needed enough weight to warrant quick release (I don't) I'd just use a weight belt.

Two quick points. 1)If you search on the BC forum and the hogarthian forum, you're going to get much more complete information. This is not really the right place for this discussion. 2) DSS is excellent gear, but it's hardly the only choice. Oxycheq makes very nice stuff too, often reasonably priced. The DSS set ups do have some nice details, like the fact that the wing just pulls off for cleaning and storage.

Personally, if I were to get a hog harness, I'd buy the webbing and D-rings from a dive shop instead of paying Dive Rite (love their gears), Halcyon, etc. for their mark-ups on something as simple as 2" webbings and D-rings.

Just note that you can't always find the nice resin reinforced webbing at local shops. I can't, anyway.

Personally, if I were to get a hog harness, I'd buy the webbing and D-rings from a dive shop instead of paying Dive Rite (love their gears), Halcyon, etc. for their mark-ups on something as simple as 2" webbings and D-rings.

You'd almost certainly end up paying more. By the time you buy 4 D rings, 6-8 keepers, a SS buckle, 12 ft of webbing, at dive shop prices I'd be very surprised if it was less than $50. I think the oxycheq hog harness kit is around $30.

There is a good place called reefscuba.com that specializes in technical diving hardware like webbing, surgical tubing, SS and brass fittings, etc..

Usually, not always, the best deals will be had by getting a package that includes the harness, plate, wing, and cambands. Caveadventurers usually puts together really good packages, not always listed on their website.

There is a good place called reefscuba.com that specializes in technical diving hardware like webbing, surgical tubing, SS and brass fittings, etc..

Reef is great. I just wish they could compete with companies like Memphis Rope and Twine for cave line prices.

Back
Top Bottom