Dive Rite EXP Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meh.

iPhones are made in China. Along with a number of top-brand, top-quality products in electronics, toys, games, lighting, engines, pumps, clothing, footwear and even products from heavy industry, including electric vehicles, etc etc etc. The list is nearly endless.

Being made in China might have meant that it was junk 30 years ago... but these days you'd often be hard pressed to find a North American manufacture that could match, let alone exceed what the Chinese can do.

Don't underestimate them. They're not the world's leading manufacturer of just about anything for no good reason.

I know that won't change your mind but prejudice won't change the facts either.

R..

Good point . I do remember when Made in Japan meant garbage and now I admire Japan products .
I have an open mind about goods made anywhere , my favorite scubapro bcd is made in Mexico of all places .
These fins may be the best thing I have ever bought that is Made in China , we may be on to something here ...

Don't underestimate them. They're not the world's leading manufacturer of just about anything for no good reason.

They are the world's leading manufacturer because of cheap labor and non-existent environmental and business regulations. Much of the technology they use is either stolen or "borrowed". Much of their manufacturing expertise came from companies in the US, the EU, Korea, and Japan that set up joint ventured with local companies. The reason they set up joint ventures is because you cannot sell in China without setting one up. This is a violation of WTO rules but if you complain then your company loses contracts in China. Please read what the Chinese did to the bidders of the turbines for the 6 Gorges dam or how they built their high-speed rail system. The Chinese are expert imitators not innovators.

Just wish the holes in the foot pockets were not there so I could carry water back to the car to wash my boots off.

JB weld fills the hole.

Funny. My OMS Slipstreams didn't have any holes in the foot pocket. So I drilled them.

Different strokes.....

Last edited:
First dive with Exp fins today . I really enjoyed them . A lot of power for the weight and I felt they moved through the water easier than Large Jetfins .

No current and flat seas . Any fin would of worked today so I still want to try them in current .
I do like the foot pocket , fins slid off and on like butter .

I think they will stay with the infamous fin collection . There is no such thing as "too many pairs of fins"

Up until this moment I didn't realize that you were a woman
R..

No ... Just in touch with my ... feminine side ?
confused.gif

eyebrow.gif

Japan is a democracy, an ally and a good friend of the USA and most all other democracies in Europe, SA and elsewhere. China, is a communist country and while not an enemy, they are not a friend either.

Japan had actual companies, such as Honda, Sony, JVC etc. China is simply a box factory with cheap slave labor for greedy western corporations to outsource jobs and labor to maximize profit to the basically ignorant consumer masses who simply buy on price alone because that is what the corporate barons have trained them to perceive as value (as opposed to quality).

Outsourcing to China is also a very effective way to end run EPA and other western countries environmental, health and labor standards.

N

Japan is a democracy, an ally and a good friend of the USA and most all other democracies in Europe, SA and elsewhere. China, is a communist country and while not an enemy, they are not a friend either.

Japan had actual companies, such as Honda, Sony, JVC etc. China is simply a box factory with cheap slave labor for greedy western corporations to outsource jobs and labor to maximize profit to the basically ignorant consumer masses who simply buy on price alone because that is what the corporate barons have trained them to perceive as value (as opposed to quality).

Outsourcing to China is also a very effective way to end run EPA and other western countries environmental, health and labor standards.

N

When I read remarks like this I want to scream.

First, Japan is not really a friend, before the Chinese overtook them they were the prime dumpers of goods in the US. The companies received subsidies from the Japanese government to export into the US. All the while financing this on the defense savings by having the US protect them. When it comes time to purchase goods that the US excels in like aerospace and defense, they want to build it themselves. The Koreans are the same way. The only reason Japanese companies started building cars here in the US is because they were afraid congress was going to hit them with tariffs or limit imports. Which they should have but congress was slow to act because the Japanese were buying our bonds and financing our deficit, they are still the #2 holders of US securities. The Chinese just ripped a page from the Japanese playbook.

You are wrong to say that what drives Chinese imports is the American consumers' desire for cheap products. Tell me what has gotten cheaper over time besides electronics (cheaper due to technology not labor)? Are Levi's less expensive now that they are made in China rather than they were when made in the US? Goods from all over the quality and price scale are made in China and other places with cheap labor. What is driving this is profit margins NOT consumer preferences. A year or so ago I was cleaning out my closet and all my old suits were made in either the US or Canada, I think the max I paid for 1 was $150. Now try to find a decent suit for $150 regardless of the country of manufacture or one made in the US or Canada. Several years ago there was an expose' one how European luxury brands were made in China on the sly or by illegal Chinese laborers in Europe making a few Euros a day. Some of these products cost well over $1,000 because of the "European Craftsmanship".

People buy cheap because they are rational and there is no way to judge quality beforehand. Levi's and Walmart specials can be made in the same factory in China, so what is the difference besides the name and the label? They last the same amount of time. If you "get what you pay for" than why do companies go with the lowest bidder?

What fins did China knock off and sell to Dive Rite?

That's really the only on topic question you could ask, the off topic discussion of friend or foe and such should be left for the Pub.

Glad you like the exp's, they are my favorite fin by a long shot!

What fins did China knock off and sell to Dive Rite?

That's really the only on topic question you could ask, the off topic discussion of friend or foe and such should be left for the Pub.

Glad you like the exp's, they are my favorite fin by a long shot!

I was was under the impression the EXPs are the same as the old Apollo Prestige fins, I believe DR bought the license/mould whatever, that being the case I'd as they were originally from Japan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom