Dive Rite 905 pool session

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys -

I tried my 905 out in a pool yesterday. This was a weighting/familiarization swim.

Water temp was 54 degrees, air temp was cold. Probably in the upper 40s. Cold for Florida!

Kicked off my Dockers and hopped in. Worked really well.

I forgot to fully dump the air out of my wing. Went down like a rock after that.

So I don't need any weight! Yay!

I'll try out a Al/Plastic BP and see how those work out. This was with a Al80, a steel 120 will add quite a bit more weight.

The suit was a bit cold. If I start diving in 54 degree water I'll want some thinsulate.

Peter Doege

When you get some thermals to wear under the suit you will become more bouyant.

What sort of set are you wearing with it? wing size, etc?

This was with a Halcyon SS backplate, DiveRite RecWing, and 3lbs of lead (to simulate my canister light).

I always dive with the light. Next time I'm at a pool, I'll dive without the extra weight and see what happens.

Peter

just a quick question, no issues with a one-time pool session with a drysuit to test wieghting?
(thinking of chlorine damage to the suit?)

That's a pretty big wing for a single tank, especially a single Al80. That' has like 51lbs of lift. Have you thought of getting a single tank wing?

Canuck diver - There isn't much chlorine in the pool during winter. So no worries for me.

Wendy - It is a big wing. 45lbs I believe. My other wing is a Halcyon Explorer. It is really big, maybe 65lbs. Anyway, I can feel the bigness. For easy drift dives I don't feel as if it is a big deal.

My attempts (3 so far) to pick up a Pioneer have all ended in failure so far.

Sigh.

Oh well, there is always next month.

Peter Doege

where are you trying to get a pioneer wing from? A shop? Which one?

You don't realize that wing is that big until you see yourself on video or picture to see how it looks.

Hey Wendy -

I can feel how big it is. A big old sail on my back. It rubs in overhead environments and it can be difficult to dump as well. With all the air capacity I have to have a good heads up / heads down position to dump all the air.

The rear dump will dump about half the air, then I pitch up a bit to let the air equalize to either side.

I don't put all that much air in it anyway, and I won't be using it for AL80s for that much longer.

Peter Doege

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom