Dive Report: Rainbow Reef, Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Timmyjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and at the urging of NetDoc, I'd like to give a short dive report about my experience recently with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo. (I realize there is an ongoing thread about Rainbow Reef, but it's kind of degenerated into a He Said/She Said thing, so I'd like to start anew).

I went to Rainbow Reef to do my Open Water Referral dives in early April (and to get out of the sub-arctic conditions we were having up here in Chicago). I was in a small class of four, myself (mid-fifties and quite apprehensive about being out on the ocean for the first time), a young woman from New Jersey (who had done the online PADI course but had done no pool time or open water time) and two thirteen year old boys from Michigan, (who like myself were there for just their Referral dives). It was a very diverse group, with unique needs and concerns, and our instructor Sarah T. did a great job of accommodating everyone.

I was quite impressed with Sarah's skill set, as well as her ability to handle numerous complications over the two days, above and beyond anything to do with scuba diving. She had a great attitude and boundless enthusiasm. Diving the reefs around John Pennekamp was awesome and I quickly lost my fear of being out on the ocean, and fell in love with being under it. We did Dry Rocks and the Christ statue, and also Banana Patch. Our second day of dives unfortunately had to be in Jules Lagoon as the wind was at 20 knots and the chop out on the reefs between 3-5 feet.

Everyone I met at the Rainbow Reef dive shop and out on the boat were great. A special shout out to Chance, the floating bird sanctuary, and everyone involved with their operation. The next time I return to Key Largo I will definitely dive with Rainbow Reef again.

Best,
-Tim

Thanks so much for the report! It's so heartwarming to hear the perspective of someone else falling in love with the sport of scuba diving. Trust me...it only gets better :D

We discovered Key Largo about 13 years ago, also with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. MANY dives later, we love diving with them even more.

Best of luck with your dive career. Please remember to share your experiences here with your fellow divers. We love to live (& dive) vicariously through the words of others!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom