Dive Report & NEED HELP to ID rudder found in Dublin Lake (Dublin, NH) Sept. 19, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After a little digging, check out the tillers for 420's or maybe even a Zuma. Are there any summer camps on the lake?

I knew I recognized it from when I worked at a charity boatyard 10 years ago. I was thinking Laser II, but the aluminum fitting at the top of the rudder didn't look quite right. I was guessing a 420, but google didn't really point me in the right direction.

But I do think it's probably the rudder/tiller assembly for a 420. Which makes me wonder how they got back to their departure point. That must've been a fun sail around the lake. I picture someone on a cell phone, "Meet me on the east shore, I can't tack. I don't wanna get into it!"

-Eric

After a little digging, check out the tillers for 420's or maybe even a Zuma. Are there any summer camps on the lake?

I knew I recognized it from when I worked at a charity boatyard 10 years ago. I was thinking Laser II, but the aluminum fitting at the top of the rudder didn't look quite right. I was guessing a 420, but google didn't really point me in the right direction.

But I do think it's probably the rudder/tiller assembly for a 420. Which makes me wonder how they got back to their departure point. That must've been a fun sail around the lake. I picture someone on a cell phone, "Meet me on the east shore, I can't tack. I don't wanna get into it!"

-Eric

Thanks for the replies!

Prior to finding this unidentified rudder/tiller assembly, I've found three from Vanguard 420's, all identical to each other, but distinctly different than this latest one. See pics below of the two I found on one dive on 12/05/2004.

The local sailing club and a nearby prep school have been happy to buy them all BACK for $25 each, a real bargain actually, compared to replacement prices.... I think I should double my price.... :D

Their students and club members were likely to be the ones who lost them originally, simply by forgetting to insert the retaining pin and then flipping the boat!

By the way, the sailors have always had a motorized safety boat at the ready for such mishaps, which is a good thing, as the water gets pretty cold. :shocked2:

Anyway, before I started the thread, I went through about 100 Google pages of images without seeing anything that matches the unidentified tiller I recently found. I checked Zuma, Laser, Vanguard, AMF, Daysailer, etc. Any other ideas?

I estimate my recent find was on the bottom at least ten years, possibly much longer, judging by the deep pitting in the non-anodized aluminum side plates.

I'm hoping someone will remember some old, discontinued model perhaps. Could it have been an early version of the 420? Any info will be greatly appreciated, especially if it helps me sell it! :wink:

Dave C

2004 (December)- I found a couple Vanguard 420 rudder/tillers on my second dive. Here they are before cleaning. Heavily coated with black deposits of some sort.
PC050054_ACt_R900.jpg

A couple days later, after cleaning. The anchor was found the same day as the rudder/tillers. I love finding treasure! :)
PC070001_ACt_R900.jpg

Last edited:
I just had another thought. O'Day makes training boats that have tillers that are somewhat similar. I think it could be an older version of a 420. I used to teach sailing at a camp that had a bunch of old 420's from a university that sold them cheap because they were upgrading their fleet. The 420' were fast but too much for beginning sailors to handle. Check on O'Day Widgeons. They kind of look like big bathtubs.
As for your buy back price, very reasonable. I think you should pat yourself on the back for doing a good deed.

EGad, Something just occurred to me after reading your post. We were taught, and taught ourselves, how to steer a boat with the sails just in case of a rudder loss. Not easy or fun so I rarely practice it but I remember the basic jist of it.

You've got a point there, Mark. I'm not much of a sailor, although I did steal a copy of Chapman's from work and read it. I can still tie most of the useful knots, and probably get a sailboat where it needs to go in good conditions. I was always better with a motor or paddles, and the maintenance end of things. But back to the tiller at hand (pardon the pun.) It does remind me of an older 420, or they may have had a larger version called a 440. I'm working from memory, but I recall having some of them in the yard I worked at in the late 90's. It was a charity yard in RI. Everything was donated, so most of our craft showed up old and beat. I did have some fun reconditioning old sailboats and, in particular a 40' liveaboard motor yacht powered by twin 454s. So my input on that rudder/tiller assembly is probably as old and crusty as that unit was when it was raised from the lake.

Regardless, if you don't find the original owner, I'd say throw it on an old Laser I and tack on a dime. That's enough wood below the waterline to turn most daysailers.

I still think it's an early 420 or 440 (if there is one) unit. The only difference I can see is the lightening holes in the aluminum fixture holding the rudder. Then again, I have been out of the business for a while.

Let me know if you find out what it was, this kinda nags at me now.

Eric

Dave,

I finally had a chance to try Dublin Pond. I wanted to check out in advance as it's the site my LDS wants to do one of OW dives for my kids. Your directions were very clear and I was able to easily find the parking/entry point. I entered at point B. I too didn't find the 100 ft mark but did make it to 80 where it just leveled out. Every other direction I went, it got shallower. I didn't want to burn my air looking further so headed back. I headed directly south (slight angle to left side of pond from entry point) I did bring my HID light expecting to hit darkness as in your post but ambient light was fine as was sunny day and water was clear.

Vis is great this time of year. 30 ft +? There was definitely a thermocline at 30 feet. Went from low 50s to 41-42 degrees. Not much to see down there. Lots of muscles. I only came across one bass (about 1 1/2 feet) It's close to where I live but I would prefer to drive the 1/2 more and go to Clarks Point or Newfound lake.

Oh.. as yesterday was a nice warm day, there was a boat out there. Flag was a must.

Had a 60 min BT.

Thanks for the info.

Super! Glad you got to try Dublin Lake! Nice report, as usual. Thanks.

I think my next attempt to find the 100' hole will be from a point midway between entries A and B.

I haven't been out much this year, just a couple of times, but I'll look you up sometime in the future. From your description, the Piscataqua River sounds interesting. :)

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom