Dive Report: Near Terranea Resort, Palos Verdes, CA. 6-8-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shucksun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We put divers on two sites near the Terranea Resort today with almost unbelievable vizibility (for PV) on Dive 2. The morning started out with fairly stiff offshore breezes that were predicted to end by mid morning. We anchored over the first reef with white caps on the surface, but true to the forecast, the wind subsided during the dive. Viz was 20'-30' "clean-green" and cold, 53F.
We repositioned for Dive 2 and moved over to nearby kelp forest. As we got the boat settled I looked down the length of a kelp stalk and was surprised how far I could see down. I took a closer look and realized that anchored in 35' of water, I could see the bottom. Later, from the boat I could watch the divers traversing along the kelp line, that is some rare viz in PV. When the divers returned to the boat, Diver one reported the viz at 50'-60', diver two said "...30-40', ...but it was better than that in spots." This is remarkable visibility for PV. These great conditions were likely due to the offshore winds pushing the surface layer Southward, which then drew deep cold clear water up and onto the reefs.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBMA2NthRDV/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I did see the Giant Stride Saturday morning on the western edge of Abalone cove. She looked to be anchored out 200 or so yards from the shoreline. From the cliff tops by the 120 reef the waves looked fairly big and the VIS in the cove east of Terranea resort looked pretty milky. Our group would love to get back in the water again at OML.

We dove Malaga on Sunday morning and viz was pretty bad, along with the 4-5 ft. surf. What day did you do this dive?

We dove Malaga on Sunday morning and viz was pretty bad, along with the 4-5 ft. surf. What day did you do this dive?
I was out scouting to see what dive sites might be the best for a Sunday shore dive. VETS Saturday morning looked windy and choppy. According to an instructor in the parking lot the VIS was "bad" and "not worth it". Next I checked out Malaga cove. Did not look to good as there were fairly big waves and the VIS (viewing from the cliff at two different locations) did not look so good, mucky. Checked out Terranea, road blocked off, so parked on the east side by Vanderlip park and hiked the cliffs to the overlook above the 120 reef. The cove looked milky, lots of foam, and although not huge waves, entry as well as exit would be quite a challenge. Wound up surfing instead at RAT beach as the waves were 2-3' SAT and 3-5+' SUN. Hopefully next weekend things will calm down, (wind and swell), and we can get some diving in.

I did see the Giant Stride Saturday morning on the western edge of Abalone cove. She looked to be anchored out 200 or so yards from the shoreline. From the cliff tops by the 120 reef the waves looked fairly big and the VIS in the cove east of Terranea resort looked pretty milky. Our group would love to get back in the water again at OML.
Yes, the Giant Stride dove it on Sat., conditions underwater were ok, but not as good as yesterday.

I was out scouting to see what dive sites might be the best for a Sunday shore dive. VETS Saturday morning looked windy and choppy. According to an instructor in the parking lot the VIS was "bad" and "not worth it". Next I checked out Malaga cove. Did not look to good as there were fairly big waves and the VIS (viewing from the cliff at two different locations) did not look so good, mucky. Checked out Terranea, road blocked off, so parked on the east side by Vanderlip park and hiked the cliffs to the overlook above the 120 reef. The cove looked milky, lots of foam, and although not huge waves, entry as well as exit would be quite a challenge. Wound up surfing instead at RAT beach as the waves were 2-3' SAT and 3-5+' SUN. Hopefully next weekend things will calm down, (wind and swell), and we can get some diving in.
I dove Vets Friday morning (day before your Sat.) and it was quite good, no surf and viz was about 20'. All this just shows how variable the conditions are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom