Dive Report May 22nd, 2011 Niles Beach Gloucester, MA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

macado

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Me and a buddy were going to attempt to dive Canoe Beach in Nahant, MA again but the winds and rough surf prevented it. It would have been like diving in a washing machine.

We decided to head up to Cape Ann and still try to get a dive in. Niles Beach in Gloucester was our alternative site because it is very sheltered and almost always calm.

Not too much to see in regards to topography but it is better than not diving. It is a very shallow dive site with a mostly sandy, almost muddy bottom. A very easy entry and exit. It was low tide when we dove and my computer just barely registered 20 feet.

I lost count the number of winter skates and skate egg pods that I saw. I also saw a good number of flounders although not nearly as many as Canoe Beach the day before.

A few abandoned lobster pots and some shorts hiding in between some of the rocks and mud holes.

Highlight of the dive was a bright red Sea Raven that was rested on top of an abandoned lobster pot.

Visibility was poor. I would say maybe 5' or a bit more. I wouldn't call it 10' but I'm not the best at judging distance. Water was also much colder or at least felt much colder. My computer said 52f degrees.

Dive lasted for 46 minutes until my hands started to get a bit numb. Time for some new gloves, the ones I have are starting to get holes in them.

Kind of glad bagged going out yesterday. Did you drive by and check out other sites (Folly?) before Niles?

Eagerly await Sun, calm seas and warmer temps

I didn't but I stopped in Cape Ann Divers and asked what they recommended and they agreed Niles would probably have been best. I knew it would be calm so I figured I might as well dive it.

I'm hoping for Folly Cove this Sunday if the weather and conditions are right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom