Dive Report - Kowaliga - The Ultimate Treasure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
If I were to have to select my favorite all-time comedian it would have to be Jerry Clower. Most anytime that someone mentions his name the coon hunter stories come to mind. However, a simple search through the record shop reveals hundreds of stories about most any subject from coon hunting to women’s liberation. One of the most hilarious is when Jerry was to appear on a talk show and was left waiting in the same room as Gloria Steinham. He listened to her rants and promptly replied, “Ms women’s libber, Mama don’t want you messing with the deal she’s got.”

Jerry was a devout Christian who married and lived his life with his childhood sweetheart. “The only woman I ever dated.” His humor was always on the edge of ribald but completely clean. What made him so great was that it was impossible for him to not be funny. The Ledbetters made famous by Jerry Clower patterned the characters from our own Hodagg family. He always produced wonderful, wholesome, rolling on the floor laughing humor that was his trademark. Years after his untimely death, his legend lives on.

I was lucky enough to have seen Jerry live and the only paper I had to get his autograph was a dollar bill. I still have it preserved in an acid free plastic bill holder.

Uncle Bersie and some of the Hodagg kids went to Lake Martin today, and guess what we recovered. A Coca Cola bottle made in 1948 and written there on the bottom – Yazoo City, Mississippi. For those who may not know, Yazoo City is the home of Jerry Clower.

A most magnificent treasure takes its place high on my shelf.

Thank you Jerry, our lives have been enriched by your stories.

This really is a rare and wonderful find.
For those unfamiliar with early generation Coke bottles, the large font with the state in the middle is rare... Yazoo City rarer, and a 1948 6 oz in good shape is wonderful.
When TT found it I could hear him holler a big Jayree HHHhhhaaaawwaawww through his reg :)
All I found was a late model Montgomery, sniff...
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom