Trip Report Dive report for South of Paul’s Reef October 12, 2021

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Roquemore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dive report for South of Paul’s Reef

Paul’s reef is located on the north west end of a north south reef approximately 8.5 nautical miles south of Lake Worth Inlet. We launched at Phil Foster park in Riviera / Palm beach and scooted down there in very little time as the seas were flat and the wind was less than 10 knots. As the site is at the north end of the reef we motored about 500 feet south for our drop. Dropping straight down and bubbles going straight up we knew we would never make it to the actual site but this place was gorgeous. If you like large barrel sponges, variety of other soft corals and tons of fish this is the spot. Terrain was reef at the sand and going east at a very slight incline for about 75 feet and then a large hill that had even more life. Never saw an actual ledge but after 55 minutes of kicking and exploring we only traveled 250 feet north or about half way to the targeted sight. Depth to the sand 55 feet and top of the hill was 45 feet with water temps in the low 80's. This dive was a few days after a new moon and single digits east wind and not sure if that contributed to the fantastic conditions. Might be a different dive with current since we did not see a ledge to hide behind.

Coordinates for Paul's Reef; 26 39.163 north, 80 1.250 west

?sub_confirmation=1

Really beautiful! At the start of the video, around 0:09, as one of you guys is descending I suppose, I see some sort of hook dancing from a reel. I'm used to reef hooks just having one hook and that has at least 2, but it looks a bit 'light duty' to serve as an anchor. Is it a reef hook, and do you find it useful to take along diving that area?

Really beautiful! At the start of the video, around 0:09, as one of you guys is descending I suppose, I see some sort of hook dancing from a reel. I'm used to reef hooks just having one hook and that has at least 2, but it looks a bit 'light duty' to serve as an anchor. Is it a reef hook, and do you find it useful to take along diving that area?

Yes! I have two reef hooks I can attach to my reels. A one-prong and a three-prong. They also make them with two-prongs. If you want to stop for a bit in current it is so much easier to hook the reel off, get low out of the current and explore a bit.

In the ocean we use a reef hook with 3 hooks, at BHB just one hook. Hardly ever do we hook off in a reef, mostly used for hooking on wrecks and the extra hooks makes a difference.

I nearly always dive with a single hook on my reel when drift diving in SE FL. It is more comfortable to hold on to than the reel. I occasionally hook off in brisk current to be able to comfortably stay in place for a while. It is helpful to be able to wait for a buddy who does not have a flag, especially if they are lobstering or hunting Lionfish.
1634418133722.png

Nice video of a great dive.
I nearly always dive with a single hook on my reel
I've had too many problems with the single hook slacking and popping loose when it's rough topside. Just forget it catching again if you aren't monitoring it while bugging or Lion taming cause that single hook will just laugh at you as you are kicking like crazy to chase it down and it's slipping over everything upside down. And the only reason I don't like a triple reef hook is they are terrible to pack and poke everything. So I use a two prong'er. It seems to stay hooked under a rock even with the flag jumping. ScubaWorks in Jupiter has then made special and it's in their store. (pack's flat too).
PS Don't even ask about distracted captains that can't figure out there's no diver holding a loose run-away dive flag and then lose the diver completely.

I've had too many problems with the single hook slacking and popping loose when it's rough topside. Just forget it catching again if you aren't monitoring it while bugging or Lion taming cause that single hook will just laugh at you as you are kicking like crazy to chase it down and it's slipping over everything upside down. And the only reason I don't like a triple reef hook is they are terrible to pack and poke everything. So I use a two prong'er. It seems to stay hooked under a rock even with the flag jumping. ScubaWorks in Jupiter has then made special and it's in their store. (pack's flat too).
PS Don't even ask about distracted captains that can't figure out there's no diver holding a loose run-away dive flag and then lose the diver completely.
I defer to my friend @Johnoly for his use of the hook. I have never had to chase down my single hook. I do tend to place it carefully.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom