Dive report Dec 19th - Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I’ve heard enticing reports from scooter divers about spectacular vis and geology just outside Whalers Cove in Lobos. Erik S. (Supersand) and I have been exploring Lobos by kicking and were very happy when Peter C. joined us as our new 3rd teammate! As though gaining Peter wasn’t enough - the deal became even sweeter when he offered to bring down his Zodiac boat!

We pulled into Lobos on Sat morning to a slight surface chop armed with excellent recommendations from scooter diver friends ;-).

Soon we were geared up with GPS coordinates for the Great Pinnacle programmed in and the depth finder was on. We flew out of Whalers Cove in a few minute. The rubber boat bumped over the surface and sea spray splashed up invigorating our faces. Cruised past kicking divers & sea lions driving out over water where the depth finder read 160-170 ft. Soon we stopped at The Pinnacles.

Gearing up we did a pre-dive check then together dropped down into the beautiful blue water. Around 60ft we arrived at the top of the pinnacle – the vis was so great the boat was still clearly in sight.

Erik led the dive through amazingly beautiful vis and spectacular geology. Schools of blue rock fish spiraled above. The strawberry anemones dotting the rocks were spectacular pinks and oranges and purples I believe. Nudi hunting at the end was a challenge in the surge but dropping down on the pinnacle things were stiller. Erik did a fantastic job on navigation & I really appreciated the budding teamwork. The dive was 50 minutes long and 82ft deep.

We headed back for a shore surface interval – no I don’t have a she-pee yet ;-). Soon we were kicking back out to the boat & on another Zodiac adventure – this time to Thumbs Up. Thanks to Peter’s navigation we hit it dead on and soon dropped back down following the anchor line through deep blue water to about 50-60ft. Again Erik led and did fantastic with navigation. The vis wasn’t as great, but still it was beautiful to wander across the pinnacles. Our light saber 21W HID lights really brought out beautiful colors on the hydrocorals & strawberry anemones & nudis.

My computer maxed out at 81ft for 49 minutes. We ascended when we hit rock bottom. The teamwork was even better on the second dive and I enjoyed our open water ascent. Thanks Peter C. & Erik for a really fantastic day! I couldn’t ask for better teammates!

And to top it off - Peter C sweetened the deal even more with a post-dive pan of freshly baked brownies !!

Thanks again guys! I can't wait for more fun next week!

Last edited:
Sounds like a spectacular time off Peter's boat - very cool. Great Pinnacle and Thumbs Up really highlight the possibilities at Lobos, and I'm sure you guys will be going to many of the other sites soon too.

Can't believe Peter brought his zodiac and brownies though. That's over the top.

lol, sounds like you had a great time, Kathy. Hope to see you at Lobos on the 2nd! And Peter's brownies, they're a great after dive snack. Not sure why chocolate is so appealing after diving, but mmmm, brownies?

Thanks for the report. All I have to share a few pictures. There are still some brownies left over on the counter if anyone wants them.

I am looking forward to many more dives with my new teammates. :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is Erik's video of the second dive at Thumb's Up.
[vimeo]8305874[/vimeo]

Attachments

• Zodiac.jpg
    Zodiac.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 447
  • Erik and Kathy.jpg
    Erik and Kathy.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Whaler's Cove.jpg
    Whaler's Cove.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 118
Wow, sounds like an awesome day. Thanks for the report and pics!

Soon we were geared up with GPS coordinates for the Great Pinnacle programmed in and the depth finder was on. We flew out of Whalers Cove in a few minute. The rubber boat bumped over the surface and sea spray splashed up invigorating our faces. Cruised past kicking divers & sea lions driving out over water where the depth finder read 160-170 ft. Soon we stopped at The Pinnacles.

Soon we were kicking back out to the boat & on another Zodiac adventure – this time to Thumbs Up. Thanks to Peter’s navigation we hit it dead on and soon dropped back down following the anchor line through deep blue water to about 50-60ft.

With regards to navigation I owe a big thank you to Chuck for supply the GPS coordinates for much of the Monterey area. Chuck has been very helpful to many divers and boaters with his webpages and personal advice, so thanks again chuck :D

Sounds like an amazing dive, thanks for the report Kathy! I'm always psyched to see new photos and videos of local diving too, it just makes me want to get out there all the more.

Ah, now you've discovered the secret of Monterey . . . beyond the "kick zone" is a whole world of color and life! Monterey is one of the places where I think a scooter is almost required dive equipment (and remember, I'm not scooter-mad at all).

I did Great Pinnacle off Phil's RIB when we were down there this spring. It was a fantastic dive, made even finer by great companions. Sounds like you had a similar experience.

Ah, now you've discovered the secret of Monterey . . . beyond the "kick zone" is a whole world of color and life! Monterey is one of the places where I think a scooter is almost required dive equipment (and remember, I'm not scooter-mad at all).

I will agree that a scooter is almost a necessity to reach further out. I use mine all the time especially for shore diving on the North Coast.

When Kathy wants I would be more than happy to take her on a scooter tour of some local dive sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom