Dive report Cabo San Lucas Sept 2005

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Dive Report Sep 1 - 6 2005
I dove for five days with Amigos Del Mar in Cabo San Lucas. One day we went to Cabo Pulmo. The boat that Amigos uses is a wide, stable catamaran with lots of room for stowage, a head, and a dive platform. The water was warm 80 degrees and relatively calm with some surge in areas. The visiblility was just ok, probably 50 feet at the best. We saw Mantas, Mobila, an eagle ray, bull’s eye ray and Stingrays. I saw a whole bunch of rays flying overhead near Neptune’s Finger, the DM called them Mantas. I saw quite a few fish, lots of different colours, lots of green eels, moray eels, a zebra eel, porcupine fish, Moorish idols, grunts, little barracudas, lobsters, parrotfish, goat fish, sea lions, an arrow crab and many others I can’t name yet, also nudibranchs and several sea horses too. We also got into a huge school of jacks, and they swirled around us for some time. The two black tip reef sharks that used to hang out near Pelican Rock were fished out according to the DM. The same DM swears they saw a whale shark in the bay earlier in the summer.
The fish at Cabo Pulmo were huge, mostly the same types of fish as in Cabo San Lucas but much bigger, and loads of eels, porcupine fish and jacks. We did drift dives in Cabo Pulmo since it had a current running, we had to stay along a ledge to keep below it in some areas. The boat used in Cabo Pulmo is a large, high-sided panga, with a ladder over the side, kinda difficult to get back in to. The van ride to Cabo Pulmo was long and dusty, it took us about two hours of driving one way, some of that on a dirt road but it was worth the trip.
We stayed at the Finisterra Hotel and Playa Grande Hotel, they are both a five minute walk from Amigos del Mar and their boat. The Sol Mar is also in the same area. We'll be going back same time this year.

Nice report. I'm looking at going to Cabo the last week of September 2006. I can hardly wait!!!

What did you use for a wetsuit? I have a 3 mil full suit.

Bill B.

I used a 3mm longsleeved shortie and was nice and warm diving in Cabo San Lucas even on the surface intervals, I usually freeze. I must say I was a little chilled at Cabo Pulmo at depth, we ascended to 30 foot and I warmed right up. Looking back at my log it was 80 water in Cabo Pulmo, but Cabo San lucas was 84 - 86 at depth.

Your Cabo trip sounds great.We are going in March,a bit chilly that time of year but we are thick skinned. I'm just hoping for good vis. and Big fish. Jo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom