Dive Report 4/14 - Pt. Pleasant, NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterlover

Contributor
Reaction score
After spending Saturday listening to George Irvine speak about diving, PA/NJdiver (Stacey) and I decided it was an excellent day for diving today (although we try to dive most days:)) We got up early for the trip down the shore. High tide was 9:30, and we usually try to get there an hour before to gear up and check conditions. We were going to try Shark River inlet but as I listened to the marine radio, the forecast said 3-4 ft seas (we could do it, but not too fun getting out.) I suggested we try the Railroad Bridge at PT Pleasant. We arrived to find 2 other divers there trying to decide if viz was good or not. I got out and it looked fair about 3-5 ft. So we said lets get ready. We usually try to time the incoming tide so we can ride the current under the bridge to the other side and then use the turning tide to ride back under the bridge for our exit. We usually have less divers on the "other side" of the bridge. We were diving here about 3 weeks ago and had good viz - 15 ft or so. Today, it would not be even close to that. As we geared up, 2 other divers arrived and decided to dive too. We geared up and entered the 48 degree water with not too many expectations of good things:) AS we submerged, the viz was worse than expected, but 2 divers had entered before us so I was hoping they churned it up and viz would improve on the other side. We dropped to the bottom at about 20 ft and proceeded to allow the current to take us under the bridge. As soon as we go under the bridge, we swim to the north shore to look around the rocks. This time of year there is usuaslly not a whole lot of fish life to look at. We saw the usual sea urchins, anemones, pink hydroids, mussels and an occassional small fish. We usually do a "slow poke" dive where we go very slowly and look for things. We were even slower today because of the poor viz. About 8 minutes into the dive, we reached an area that had a mussel bed close to the rock slope. Stacey was intrigued by some white cold water coral that had its polyps extended and were feeding from the current. I was forging ahead looking under the rocks for fish and anemones. Then I did it. I moved a small piece of seaweed and guess what was underneath it. A SEAHORSE!!!!!! This is the 4th dive we have seen them on. It is truly a rare treat to see these creatures in the wild and not have to be in the Caribbean. So we watched this small (about 2" high) seahorse for about 5 minutes then decided to move around. As I searched the area, I found a Pipe fish and showed Stacey. I wandered further around and guess what I found.....yes, another much larger Seahorse, which was aprox. 7" high. It is the largest seahorse I have ever located in the wild. I
have never seen one in an aquarium that was larger. After spending 30 minutes of our dive looking at seahorses, we decided (actually the current decided) to turn our dive and head to the exit side. We went back and forth between the bridge pilings looking for marine life while the current changed directions. During our return to the exit side, we spotted a fair-sized, not a doormat, flounder. After a total dive time of 52 minutes, we decided to exit to the warm, sunny NJ morning. After the dive, we recounted what we saw. The highlight, of course, was the SEAHORSES. I wish you all could have witnessed this:):) Just another fun dive off the "Jorzey Shore"

Ken & Stacey

Sounds like a sweet dive!

Reading that report makes me even more ready to end the winter dry time and get wet again. Sounds like a good dive.

Chad

I grew up - well, not that far away, and I never knew that we had seahorses! Cool! I probably never will dive back there, but it is interesting...

Back
Top Bottom