Dive recommendations on Maui for a newbie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tommyp

Reaction score
I saw some good recommendations for dive shops on Maui. I am curious as to opinions on which dive shops are set up to deal with newbies well? I will have just received my open water cert. before I go to Maui and would like to dive (preferably Molokini) but don't want to go out on a boat full of seasoned divers where I am the only newbie. How do the different shops handle inexperienced guys like me?

Tom

B&B has a lot of dive leaders on their boat so they can mix skill levels easily. They also seem to keep their dive leaders for years so they're all very experienced. They do a first dive out at Molokini and a second dive closer to shore so depths are limited. I've sent them many new divers over the years and they did a great job with all of them.

While Lahaina divers is probably setup (business wise) specifically for new divers, I'd be more prone to recommend B&B like Al, mostly because when I dove with Lahaina Divers there were 2 DM's in the water, for 20 divers. With B&B there are usually no more than 4 divers per DM (I've seen as many as 7 DM's for 12 divers with them - lol), but that means you'll get much more personalized attention and they can customize your dive just for you.

As Al pointed out they tend to retain experienced crew, so you won't go wrong with them.

Maui Scuba Diving with Lahaina Divers: Shop for Scuba Dive Trips in Hawaii, Scuba Certification, and Rental Gear - Scuba Dive Hawaii with the Best

B&B Scuba is Maui's leading dive shop and boat operator.

Also be sure to check out shore diving while here - you can contact Shaka Doug for fun down in Kihei.

Aloha, Tim

I haven't heard any complaints about Maui Dreams Dive Co. (Maui Dreams Dive Co ) for shore diving... and having been out on the Maui Diamond II (Maui Scuba Tours - Maui Diamond II Boat Diving at Molokini and other Maui dive locations ) a few times, I can say they're pretty good with beginners, too.

The one key with the Diamond is that there is no rush, ever. The boat ride is a pleasant 60-70 minutes to Molokini (compared to 15 from Kihei), but there is plenty of time to enjoy the scenery, do the dive briefing and check out the whales (in season), so when you get to the crater, it's hop-in-and-dive. Between dives and after the second is similarly relaxed... perfect for those that have some apprehension and need time to get used to stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom