Dive Plan for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My dive plan.

Decide to dive north or south and if we need to pack a lunch. (If diving south lunch is often the Kite City food truck!) Drive to site and check conditions. Adapt as needed. Walk the site checking for best entry. Its not always the marked site.

Gear up at the truck and walk to entry. Put on mask and regulator and partly fill wing. Carefully enter water. The shore is often uneven with unexpected grooves and boulders. Once in deeper water put on fins and descend for the swim to the reef. This is where we most often see eagle rays and other prime sealife.

At the reef we mark our start with a small buoy if there is not one at the site then descend to about 50 to 80 feet, decide direction, swim to turn, ascend to about 30 feet and swim back. Repeat procedure to exit. We will often then just switch tanks and repeat a second dive at same site swimming in the opposite direction. If its a night dive we but a light on our buoy.

My dive plan.

Decide to dive north or south and if we need to pack a lunch. (If diving south lunch is often the Kite City food truck!) Drive to site and check conditions. Adapt as needed. Walk the site checking for best entry. Its not always the marked site.

Gear up at the truck and walk to entry. Put on mask and regulator and partly fill wing. Carefully enter water. The shore is often uneven with unexpected grooves and boulders. Once in deeper water put on fins and descend for the swim to the reef. This is where we most often see eagle rays and other prime sealife.

At the reef we mark our start with a small buoy if there is not one at the site then descend to about 50 to 80 feet, decide direction, swim to turn, ascend to about 30 feet and swim back. Repeat procedure to exit. We will often then just switch tanks and repeat a second dive at same site swimming in the opposite direction. If its a night dive we but a light on our buoy.

You stole my dive plan for Bonaire diving.....

Jim...

Southern sites from Margate bay to sweet dreams are all good. We don't bother much with other sites between the Hooker and Margate. Long swims and just not that good.
To some extent I agree but with one exception, Invisibles. Its a sandy swim to the reef but we almost always see rays, turtles or other interesting sealife in this zone. There is a patch of garden eel that has been in the area of the buoy for several years now. The reef itself here is in pretty good shape, especially southward and the first reef reaches the bottom fairly shallowly and it is a narrow distance to the second reef. I love the contrast of the white sandy ocean floor between the two slopes of darker reef. Striking.

Something special is easy to find and great PM or night dive.
We had our best night dive here this last trip. All the usual but the hunting tarpon were more successful then others I typically see. And I can tell you goat fish are a favorite meal. I have an interesting video (at least to me) of their hunting and an encounter with a rather large lobster that was out for a stroll that I hope to post if I ever get a chance to do a little editing.

Park just south of den leman for bari reef to the north or front porch to tyhe south, both good day and night. Den Leman haqs put up some signs directing divers to a difficcult entry. Ignore them and get to the waters edge, walk the wet shore north about 20 feet for an easy entry. Do not use their private dock.
We did the same in the past but again this last trip there were more changes to the site. You could still wade in the water over to the Den Leman entry but there is a new access that is even better. The old building, to the left if standing on the shore, has a Bonaire style sign that marks entry there. And it really is an easy entry right along the side of that building.

I agree that once you do Helma its kind of a been there done that for us but when we do it we park at Angel City, swim north along the second reef to the wreck, dive the wreck then ascend the first reef and return to entry. That way you get the best of both and its an interesting sight to see the wreck emerge between the reefs.

Last edited:
we park at Angel City, swim north along the second reef to the wreck, dive the wreck then ascend the first reef and return to entry. That way you get the best of both and its an interesting sight to see the wreck emerge between the reefs.

That's a great idea!

Veterans of Bonaire only plan on how and when to go there. Plan more than that? NO WAY!!
They know better. Hell, I considered making a spinning dart board with all the sites on it to take with me. Spin the board during morning coffee and let the dart fly. Good a plan as any IMO.

Veterans of Bonaire only plan on how and when to go there. Plan more than that? NO WAY!!
They know better. Hell, I considered making a spinning dart board with all the sites on it to take with me. Spin the board during morning coffee and let the dart fly. Good a plan as any IMO.

Yep!

Yep. And after this trip, the OP will be a veteran of Bonaire, and will answer future questions from other Bonaire newbies this way.

The only thing we plan is whether we're eating in or going out for dinner and that's just because of the trip to the Van Den Tweel (or maybe a rezzy depending on where we're going). :)

When you're a veteran, you know what's there, what you're going to, and what else you miss by going to that one. You know the difference between northern and southern sites. What the Cliff looks like. Whether Holman Hooker entertains or bores you. What the big deal is (or isn't) about Salt Pier.

When you're new, you don't know firsthand. A 1st trip tentative plan may be of service to get to know the place.

I plan a bit each day but don't overthink it.

Worth looking at the weather report and discussing at the dive store before heading out. Depending on variation in wind direction and speed, it can be a bit rough for shore entry at either the most northern or southern sites. The more central sites are almost always flat calm.

Also, if planning a night dive, will use nitrox all day and maybe skip the second afternoon dive. That allows time to go to Van Den Tweel as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom