Dive Plan for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to hit southern sites early in the morning. It's usually a lot calmer then.

A trip report will be posted shortly. As Richard mentioned in an earlier reply, and my reasons for wanting to do some level of planning, a plan is good for a first time diver to Bonaire. I did not stick to the plan but when roadblocks popped up it allowed us to take alternate actions based on knowledge so that I could see as much as possible on a first trip and get the most of all that Bonaire has to offer. I think it was a successful trip and would recommend to other first timers to do a bit of homework and have some level of plan in hand - just do not be pedantic about it.

I don't understand the dislike of the Hooker... It's a great wreck with a lot to see...

I wish we had visited the Hooker later in the day, after noon. In the morning the sun from the east cast shadows on the west-facing deck and hull openings. Hard to see much.

I try to hit southern sites early in the morning. It's usually a lot calmer then.

One dive we 'plan' is at Willemstoren Lighthouse at the the far south of the island. As Kharon said, go earlier in the morning, and if it's not calm enough to dive (it usually isn't) work your way north until the conditions are better.

The lighthouse is a great dive but should only be attempted when there are little to no waves.

Plus 1 on no plan. Or at least a liquid plan. My plan consists of ...is a boat in at the salt pier? Other than that, depends on how I feel when I wake up. Thats the beauty of diving Bonaire. As stated above, the southern sites are usually better in the morning before the trades pick up. Other than that, wing it man!

One dive we 'plan' is at Willemstoren Lighthouse at the the far south of the island. As Kharon said, go earlier in the morning, and if it's not calm enough to dive (it usually isn't) work your way north until the conditions are better.

The lighthouse is a great dive but should only be attempted when there are little to no waves.

Agreed. The surge can be brutal with a cross current and the bottom is dangerous with dead coral in the shallows. I have had some good fights in and out. But once you get deep enough to get the fins on and out to the drop, it's a lush jungle.

I've seen a Goatfish fell victim to Schoolmaster who used my torch to find his prey. Tarpons do that, Snooks do that, and large Snappers do that. I believe this one Schoolmaster hunted with me on night dives at Bari Reef on more than one trip but he comes out only if no Tarpons are around.

My personal plan is to see a Chain Moray, finally.

If you want to see a chain moray eel in Bonaire, you don't have to dive. I've seen a few of them, after a buddy and I learned where and when to look. Unless Eden Beach Resort has changed their shoreline since, there's a large, relatively flat rocky area along the shore. When waves come in, they wash over it, but there are what amount to little rocky edges & 'mud holes' between that rocky sheet and the rest of the shore. I'm talking water maybe an inch or two deep when the waves recede. At night, small chain moray eels crawl along those areas hunting. You can walk along with an LED (for low heat output topside, vs. a halogen) dive light and thick-soled boots, and watch for them.

Eden Beach Resort has the Spice Club restaurant, I assume? I mention that in case you're not staying there but need an excuse to be there at night.

RIchard.

If you want to see a chain moray eel in Bonaire, you don't have to dive. I've seen a few of them, after a buddy and I learned where and when to look. Unless Eden Beach Resort has changed their shoreline since, there's a large, relatively flat rocky area along the shore. When waves come in, they wash over it, but there are what amount to little rocky edges & 'mud holes' between that rocky sheet and the rest of the shore. I'm talking water maybe an inch or two deep when the waves recede. At night, small chain moray eels crawl along those areas hunting. You can walk along with an LED (for low heat output topside, vs. a halogen) dive light and thick-soled boots, and watch for them.

Eden Beach Resort has the Spice Club restaurant, I assume? I mention that in case you're not staying there but need an excuse to be there at night.

RIchard.
Thanks! Sounds like pencil-size Snowflake Morays in tidal pools in Hawaii. But I want to see an adult. From what I've read, I have to go deep on a night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom