Dive Plan for Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much Richard for these details. This is great information and a great start to planning our days of diving e.g. knowing about a 3 tank boat dive to the North that is better arranged ahead of time. I will post a trip report.

Thanks to others for chiming in with input - it really helps.

Past trips I've spent a lot of time developing a daily plan for 3 or more dives a day for each day of the 2 week period I go for. I list dive order (1st, 2nd, etc.), site, planned depth, planned time, etc. Not once have I ever even nominally followed these plans. Instead, I get up in the morning when I'm ready. Decide whether to head south or north while I'm making coffee. Pick out a starting site and head for that. After the first dive I decide either to dive there again in the opposite direction as the first dive or move farther north or south. After that dive, repeat.

I've even quit making lists of "must do" dives. There are some I know I will do (Yellow Sub, Cliff, Tori's Reef, Invisibles, Tolo, my secret site) - goes without saying. There are also some I know I wouldn't even consider (Hilma Hooker - yawn). For the rest it's entirely on a whim. Where do I feel like diving right now. There are so many sites and they are so close that you can get from the farthest south to the farthest north in about your surface interval. Why complicate it. There isn't a bad dive site on the west side. Why overthink it?

One option for Slagbaai Park diving is Buddy Dive's weekly 3 tank.
Confirmed on my recent trip in September, that 3-tank option no longer exists. Too bad. If you want to dive the Park now, it is essentially a full day truck trip, and you can hit 3-4 sites: Boka Bartol, Playa Funchi, Wayaka, and Boka Slagbaai North, depending on the wave conditions.

I've been to Bonaire more then a few times ( 2 trips a year ) and just back from a month stay.... Not making a dive plan is the best advise you can get... We may say over breakfast " Lets dive the Hooker " and when driving up see 6 to 10 pick-ups there... We, Drive on by to another dive site... Bonaire is all about Freedom to do what you want, Where you want.. Don't put yourself in a box... Have a great time... And Follow the simple rules about leaving windows down / Doors unlocked and leave nothing of value that you would miss if it's stolen...

Jim....

Some generic plans.

First day: Briefing, checkout dive on buddy reef, get truck and hit the market, PM at Corporal Meise, buddy reef night.

We have stopped doing any sites between andrea and tolo but oil slick might be worthg a shot if the ladder is repaired. Tolo and Karpata are good for 2-tanks each when the wind is OK. In a single week, we usually hit Karpata twice - it is quite good deep oe shallow. If waves are crashing over the cement slab, better to drive back south.

Salt peir and Atlantis (double reef) are good if the winds are squirrly.

Southern sites from Margate bay to sweet dreams are all good. We don't bother much with other sites between the Hooker and Margate. Long swims and just not that good.

Park is a very lonbg drive and not worth it IMHO.

We have tried some of the more northerly aqnd southerly site but have gotten to old for the difficult entries and strong currents.

Something special is easy to find and great PM or night dive.

Park just south of den leman for bari reef to the north or front porch to tyhe south, both good day and night. Den Leman haqs put up some signs directing divers to a difficcult entry. Ignore them and get to the waters edge, walk the wet shore north about 20 feet for an easy entry. Do not use their private dock.

Don't miss the Cliff. Ask thee shop there howw you can get through the gates for a night dive.

Our generic -lan is a 2-tank dive to north or south sites. PM 1-tank close to hotel after lunch. Then a 1-tank night at the hotel reef or just a shoet drive away. But we did meet some young divers who were doing night dives on tolo and karpata if you are up to that.

Dont plan!, wake up, have breakfast, pick a spot, drive there, go diving. If a spot is crowded or does not look ok to dive (for some reason of other circumstances) then pick another, drive there and go diving ;-)

My sentiments, too. On my first trip, I did all this "research" online, asking people what the "can't miss" sites are. After two days on Bonaire, I realized how silly that was. In time, you'll cover most of the ones you hear people mention, regardless of what order you do them in. There's no right or wrong way to pick sites--whatever works for you. For one's first visit, don't feel compelled to strategize over what sites to visit in what order, etc. Open the BSDME book, and for your morning dives pick a site or two that sound good, perhaps somewhere to the north of where you are staying. Then pack up the truck, get tanks, and go. The exception might be the far north--where the road becomes one-way and you have to commit to going around the whole loop, which will eat up much of your day. When you want to explore the northern sites, plan to make a day of it. As others have pointed out, if you arrive at a site and the waves look a little rough, then drive somewhere else. No big deal. Return for lunch. In the afternoon, pick a site closer to where you're staying, or to the south of where you dived in the morning. As you've read, the far southern sites can be more challenging--I didn't do any of them on my first trip, since the dive shop said the conditions were a little rough. In any case, you probably don't want to be driving all over the island in one day. We tend to pick our sites based on whether we feel like going north, south, or staying close to town. Even the sites close to downtown Kralendijk, like Yellow Sub, are perfectly great. Sometimes we just decide on a direction, knowing there are several sites in that region that would suit us, drive off that way, and then make an impromptu decision on the particular site. After two days on Bonaire, you will have a good feel for where (and how far) you want to go. Some days, we decide at breakfast that we just don't feel like driving all over the place. Other days, we decide we're up for an adventure.

The extent of my dive planning while on Bonaire is basically do I want to go north or south after my morning house reef dive. The shore diving usually follows the pattern of go out, turn left or right, do a 180 after air is half depleted, etc. However, I did do plenty of research before I tried La Danias Leap the first time, and the best info came from this site. Lots to learn from what others have shared here if you do a search with a key word or two. Have a great time and do share a trip report!

Confirmed on my recent trip in September, that 3-tank option no longer exists. Too bad. If you want to dive the Park now, it is essentially a full day truck trip, and you can hit 3-4 sites: Boka Bartol, Playa Funchi, Wayaka, and Boka Slagbaai North, depending on the wave conditions.
too bad, I've removed the reference. thx,

My favorite sites are Something Special, !8th Palm, Ebo's Special, Rappel, and...well....whichever one I'm at.
31st trip to the island next June.

Don't let the drive back stop you from diving the sites north of 1000 steps... Were the road starts being one way.. The drive back around the east side of the Island is not really that long and you'll get the feel of the other side.. The wife and I will get 6 tanks from dive friends ( get the extra tank air ) and do 3 dives and then stop along the way and take one of the side roads down to the water... It's really nice and you'll see why they call it the wild side.... Makes for a really fun day.. Rincon has a few places to grab a beer and some food..

Jim...

Edit to add... The Ladder has been fixed at Oilslick for some time.. They removed the wood steps at the bottom and put a aluminum step in it place...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom